News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

whiskers

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2012-03-15 16:30

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

on my window for the doors,  the cat whiskers are gone,  i don't feel like taken things apart, & i don't feel like paying someone to do it for me,   i think over the years i've seen someone or place that sold replacement whiskers that u can slip in with a self sticking backing,  has anyone else seen them?,   if so where can i get them,  i'm talking about the up and down track without the stainless outer trim,   thanks      jerry

JimNolan

Jerry,
  I'm going to reply to your thread. I've never seen window whiskers like your describing. But, a good set ( good set ) of whiskers aren't that hard to install. The side next to the body of the car has square holes in the body and you snap the whiskers in and it's held in with clips already installed on the whiskers ( you won't have to take the window out ). The whiskers on the interior side can be put on with pop rivets, it's no big deal. You unscrew the interior metal pieces and you can do it on the work bench. Jim  PS.  If you have a hard time replacing the outside door pcs. I believe you could take the door panel off, lower the window stop at the bottom and wind the window down a little more to have access to take the old whisker off and clip on the new one.
 EDIT:  If you want to, get the whiskers and bring the car down I'll help you put them in. I've got an extra bedroom for you to spend the night if you want. Bring your wife too. If you're like me I don't like driving anywhere by myself on longer trips.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

Jim...If I'm reading everybody correctly, I think Gerry was talking about the window channels, and you were talking about the anti-rattlers....LOL he may need to stay 2 nights.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

That's all right too. Two nights are better than one. Jim

gasman826

You make mention of pop riveting whiskers/anti-rattle materials to the inside garnish moulding.  These were originally stapled in place.  Now it may not be an issue to pop rivet material to the garnish moulding because the method of fastening will be hidden after the garnish is reinstalled.  The are many places on many makes and models of cars and trucks that use staples to fasten soft materials to steel.  How are restorers getting this accomplished correctly for competition points shows.  I have asked and searched to find one of these staplers.  My car is a hot rod so it does not matter what mode I use to fasten soft stuff.  I just want to know!

geraldchainsaw

thanks Jim,  but not right now,  and as for long trips,  i would rather go by myself,  couldn't put the top down,  have to watch how i drive, make sure i don't change lanes to much,  etc etc etc,.     and it is the channels i was talking about,  i've already put in the inner and outer door whiskers on,  i thought there might be a easy and fast way to do it,  easy i can do right now,  not take alot of things apart.            and while i'm on the comnp i might as well tell ya all,     that da_ tire & wheel still leaks air,  so i'm putting a tube in,     and i'm dissappointed  in the tire co i dealt with,  2 times i've emailed them,  took quite a while for the 1st responce,   and since i; ve had the problem with the tire and emailed them havn't heard from them at all.     jerry

RICH MUISE

Gary...when I fastened my anti-rattlers to my garnish rail, I  ran a strip of masking tape over the fuzzies, then punctured the tape with a staple, followed by a 1/16 drill bit using the holes poked in the tape as a guide. When I did the drilling, I had the strip clamped to the garnish rail, so I was drilling both the strip and the rail at the same time. I inserted the staple then bent the legs over manually. Worked great. We had discussed this before and we ended up assuming the factory had staplers that could pierce the sheetmetal, but, like you, I'd sure like to know for sure just out of curiosity. I'm just real sceptical about having a staple hard enough to puncture metal, but ductile enough to have the legs bent without breaking. I'd be more incline to believe they had an elaborate unit that pierced the metal first with a punch, then stapled..in one operation.
Jim..I would think the head on a pop rivet is too big for the anti-rattlers. If the stapling idea isn't suitable, I'd try a contact, or panel adhesive.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

See, I told you that I forget stuff.

Now that you point it out to me, I remember this discussion.  Some of the kits include the staples but how finger poking not to mentions tedious.  I'm probably going to use adhesive for the gravel guard gaskets and along the bottom edge of the inner fenders.

JimNolan

Alright, since we're talking whiskers for a minute, I'll tell you how I did mine. As you guys know anything that's done well takes the right tools to do it with. I completely gave up on the idea of putting staples in it because I didn't have the patience. I used a Whitney Hole punch ( 1/8" ) and punched out about six locations on the whiskers ( don't use a drill on the whiskers ). I then clamped the the whiskers to the metal door panel with cleco clamps and drilled through the six locations of the whiskers transfering the holes. I then took it apart and used a dimple die to dimple the whiskers as well as the metal door panel. I then used 1/8" countersunk aluminum rivets the right length and bucked ( manual rivet squeezer) the aluminum rivits fastening the whiskers to the door panels. The rivets have a small head on them and when you're through you can't see the rivets as well as it being flush leaving all kinds of whisker material to cover the head of the rivet. That was for the 57. When I did the 63 I followed the same procedure except I used 1/8" countersunk pop rivets (small head also). They worked just as good. Jim   PS  The tools you can guess are tools I had to have when I built my airplane. I realize it would be an expense just to put whiskers on door panels.

wv 57s forever

:iamwithstupid:

i usually just run a brush through my whiskers after i take a shower?

geraldchainsaw

ok,   do any of u have a )classicauto(    catalog?,    page 222 has what i've been looking for,     and i sent for 2 diff sizes,   just to play with,     one was 7/16 on the bott, and the other was 3/8,   i'll let u know if i wasted my money after i try them,    jerry