News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tow Dollies

Started by JimNolan, 2012-03-18 10:55

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Lou,
   Going to do that right now. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JimNolan

Lou,
   I just got off the phone with Brandon of American Modern Home Insurance. He said the Heacock Insurance Group  had a special arrangement with American Modern in that they decided their own policy conditions depending of individual circumstance. He said that it was standard policy with American Modern not to insure cars that were used for towing. Jim

Lou

Time to change insurance compaines, I've never heard of a broker making up the rules. Read your policy and see it there is anything in there about it.

JimNolan

Lou,
  I will do that as soon as I get back home tonight. Jim

JimNolan

Lou,
   I can't find anywhere in the policy that prohibits the use of my car for towing. I don't feel intelligent enough to understand the written declarations stated in my policy though. While searching the internet, I did find one person that had a declaration on his JC Taylor insurance policy not allowing him to use his Classic Insured Pick-up as a tow vehicle. In fact they required he sign that declaration.
   I've decided not to challange Heacock's decision. Changing insurance companies is not an option. Heacock is the only insurance company that would provide me in writing the freedom to use my cars to the extent I do. To obtain that much freedom of use I had to submit 10 photos of each car plus photos of the hanger ( inside and outside ) at the airport. They know the car is used every day (for pleasure) but if I stop at the super market, restraint or auto parts on the way home they don't consider it used for errands. I found it's one thing for a broker to say "oh yea, go ahead and use it, we encourage pleasure driving" but it's another situation when you get the insurance policy and it states " occasional driving, not used for errands, etc". I'm very pessimistic when taking anyone word for something. Especially when they may have to fork over $70,000 dollars for two cars if the occasion arises.
  Looks like trying to save money on gas isn't going to be an option for me.
Thanks for all the input I got. Jim

gasman826

May have to teach the dog to drive!!

JimNolan

I wish she could. I hate driving anywhere by myself. My live-in fiancee can drive one and I can drive the other but that's a lot of gas and if you're going a long distance we'd just end up fighting over who Buffy gets to ride with. Jim PS  I still think it was a good idea. But, like Rich said, you're taking a chance of losing two classic cars with one accident. Maybe that's why the insurance company isn't agreeable.