News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Colum shift 3 speed reverse switch

Started by Fabulous50s, 2020-05-17 20:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

My 59 originally had a 2 speed auto, but was converted to 3 speed toploader in the 80s. I've got the dash and colum out, had a toggle switch for reverse lights. What does a reverse switch bracket look like/mount to make this work correctly?

I'd rather not cobble together something if I can avoid it!

Thanks!
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

Ford Blue blood

I might be wrong on this.  If the 57 - 59 "everything is the same" mechanically follows the back up light switch was mounted on the bottom of the steering column in the engine bay.  The lever on it was situated such that the arm for 1st & reverse when moved to the reverse position would push it to turn on the lights. 

Anyone else know for sure?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Good question and I don't know for sure. All my 57's have been stick shift but none had back up lights. The only switches I recall, and I could be wrong, were on auto trans and they were a combination of neutral safety and back up mounted on the lower column. I have one of the nice big color wiring diagrams and it doesn't even show the backup lights, only neutral safety, I was surprised.

After some searching it appears the switch mounted on a bracket on the trans for sticks. found it at a few places.
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_late/electrical/switches/backup-light-switches.html
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Fabulous50s

When I was trying to figure the best place to put the switch, it seemed on the transmission would work out the best. I may just fab up a bracket and run the wires there. I have found little information about the switch location anywhere else. And the manual has no mention of it, optional equipment.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

thomasso

I can't get a picture of mine, brake booster in the way.  I have a used brkt. and remnants of the switch.  I'will try to post pictures.  You can have it, PM me. I'll throw in a normally open two wire switch that will work in lieu of correct switch.  Picture is on page 57 of electrical assy. manual
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.