News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Aerostar springs

Started by hiball3985, 2013-01-19 10:13

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

After reading Robs post about them in his 57 wagon I was thinking I would possibly replace mine on the Ranchero while I have the front end apart. My question is about spring rate of the Aero compared to the OEM springs. I'm not looking for comfort but better handling, so I would like something a little higher then the stock ones.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

robhaerr

The "better handling" part for me is the new 1 1/8" front sway bar and 1" rear sway bar. My wagon handles like a slot car now.

From what I read in a post on another forum regarding the Aerostar springs (I don't have the info with me right now), the spring rate is the same. If you Google hard enough, you may find the thread I found. Look for a guy who posted photos of a rat-rod looking '57 Custom where he compares cut coils vs Aerostar springs.

I found it...here is the post that talked me into the Aerostar springs...
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260795&showall=1

Best...
Rob

hiball3985

Thanks Rob, I read through that post. I think I will give it a try. I found the spring rate on the Moog site, 605lbs. I wasn't able to find what the OEM Fords where. I would like to go with the larger sway bar in the future, where did you get that? I checked on a T-Bird site mentioned in another post but didn't see them.

Thanks again
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

robhaerr

I bought the front and rear sway bar kit for the Station wagon/Ranchero here...

http://www.concoursparts.com/

-Go to Online catalogs link
-Go to the catalog for "1949 to 59 Big Cars"
-click on the "Sway Bar" link down the left side

Pick the one you need...there aren't any photos of them.

Then Walden Speed Shop in Pomona installed them while they were also installing the rack and pinion, and 302. They said the install was easy.

Here is a video clip at Walden Speed Shop...the front coils on here are not the Aerostar springs, I put those on later after seeing that these springs sucked...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbTteNiObbI

This episode shows more from under the car...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1FWwsjxJKw

Different car!

Rob

hiball3985

Thank you Rob, enjoyed the video's. That sway bar will be an easy installation for me, just what I need.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

robhaerr

Glad to help...hope to see you around SoCal one of these days.

I am out I-10 in the "Inland Empire". Not many 57 Ford Country Sedans around SoCal...maybe less than 5?

Rob

hiball3985

You never know, I should have my Ranchero on the road in about a month. I'm up off the 210 out Pasadena way.. My daughter in Poway is building a 57 Rio..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

xsilencex

i have the areostar coils on my ranchero. perfect drop and feels good.

hiball3985

I decided against the Areostars, they would have had me too low with the Granada spindles
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Frankenstein57

If any of you guys running aerostar springs would do me a favor, measure the compressed height of the spring,with the load on it.  You should be able to slide a tape ruler up next to the shock till it bottoms out. And let me know what spindles you have also. My 57 suspension has been modified, I'm probably going to use a pair of 600 lb race springs with an adjuster for ride height. But I won't rule out the aerostars. There was an active thread on the y-block site, I asked the guy to measure this, he said it was to cold in California, Huh? bawl  Mark

hiball3985

He must have been in the north, down south it was almost 80 today. The uncompressed height was almost two inches shorter then the 57 springs, that's why I didn't try them..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Fryguy302

With the Grenada spindles, at least with an iron headed big block, the Aerostar springs put the car too low.  I like it too low, but it wasn't drive-able.

I'm going to take a bunch of weight out of the front (re-locate battery, and aluminum heads on the big block), and also put a shim in the springs and keep running the Aerostar springs.  I want it to be as low as possible and still drive-able.

Here's a pic of the springs uncompressed.

Frankenstein57

The car looks good , nice stance.   Mark

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2013-11-14 20:15
The car looks good , nice stance.   Mark

Yup, really looks good!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

robhaerr

As a comparison...here is my wagon with Aerostar springs, stock spindles, aluminum head 302, stock rear ride height, front and rear sway bars. Tires are 215 60 15 on front, 215 65 15 on rear. I do need to take it slow over speed bumps...not exactly level ground here...