News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Aerostar springs

Started by hiball3985, 2013-01-19 10:13

Previous topic - Next topic

SkylinerRon

Ford lists most 57 frt springs @ 2225 lb/load.

Ron.

LAUDY57

Fryguy, is that a stock spring (v8 or 6cyl) on the left in the pic? I count 9 turns with some overlap, do you know the wire dia? Can anyone tell me the turns for stock springs?
I joined up the charts from CDNRanchero in Jim Nolan's post Feb 17/11, tried to reach under old 6 cyl car to measure wire dia and found it difficult to get a repeatable number and when I look at the chart and see diameters .693/.698/.710 I see I need to refine my measuring "technique".
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

hivolt5.0

I put the Aerostar springs on my Ranchero and it was very low.  In fact, it was riding on the bump stops. I have a 312 and stock suspension.  I ended up buying some polyurathane spring isolators for a Fox body mustang and it raised the front back up 1 inch.  The ride is MUCH better.  The stance is perfect.

hiball3985

Quote from: hivolt5.0 on 2014-01-24 20:21
I put the Aerostar springs on my Ranchero and it was very low.  In fact, it was riding on the bump stops. I have a 312 and stock suspension.  I ended up buying some polyurathane spring isolators for a Fox body mustang and it raised the front back up 1 inch.  The ride is MUCH better.  The stance is perfect.
I'm not familiar with the spring isolators, how thick are they and do they go on the top of the spring? I have Granada spindles and would like to raise the from a little and possibly that would get me a better alignment.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

65kcode

@hiball

The isolator goes on top of the spring, the stock 57 is quite thin. Jegs or Summit have them in all different thicknesses. I don't have my springs handy to measure the diameter, but here's an example of what they are:

http://www.jegs.com/p/Energy-Suspension/Energy-Suspension-Coil-Spring-Isolators/743954/10002/-1

Depending on the amount of raise you are looking for, would dictate the thickness needed.

Kevin

Ford Blue blood

Keep in mind the amount of raise will be close to double the thickness of the spacer.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Thank you guys. I wish I had thought to look for a thicker spacer when I rebuilt the front suspension  :005: but I will look into this..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

LAUDY57

Yeah, the Aerostars put mine on the stops. I added a 1" rubber spacer in the coils of the cut original spring I put back in so if you go with the spacer at the top and the Aerostars let us know. I'm still looking for the S-10 springs which have the same rate as the Aerostars but are taller, trying for used before I "spring" for new ones.
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

SkylinerRon

Ford actually put spacers on top of the springs on factory A/C cars rather than different springs.
All of the factory springs were within 10% of each other too. Guess the 6 cyl was a fairly heavy engine (and further forward).

Ron.

Fryguy302

Quote from: LAUDY57 on 2013-12-20 12:24
Fryguy, is that a stock spring (v8 or 6cyl) on the left in the pic? I count 9 turns with some overlap, do you know the wire dia? Can anyone tell me the turns for stock springs?
I joined up the charts from CDNRanchero in Jim Nolan's post Feb 17/11, tried to reach under old 6 cyl car to measure wire dia and found it difficult to get a repeatable number and when I look at the chart and see diameters .693/.698/.710 I see I need to refine my measuring "technique".

Those are the stock springs out of my car, which was a 292 V8 Automatic from the factory.  If anyone wants them, they are free picked up in Holly, MI.

57 Ford Kustom

What spacers did you end up with Hiball? from what I have measured it looks like the 5 7/16 are the diameter spring isolators that I need. anyone know any different?
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

hiball3985

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2014-02-24 19:52
What spacers did you end up with Hiball? from what I have measured it looks like the 5 7/16 are the diameter spring isolators that I need. anyone know any different?
Tim :unitedstates:
Tim, I haven't done it yet. I don't feel like tearing the front apart again at this point I'm just enjoying driving it. I also have to figure out what that will it do to the geometry and whether I will be able to align it like I want it afterwards.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang