News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Sway bar Kit

Started by LAUDY57, 2013-11-23 13:55

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

The threaded rod thing is neat.  It is similar to a Kent Tool or one of the other OEM specialty tool manufacturers.  A good vice does the same thing.  X2 on the cautions to not distort the control arm.  Don't push them in too deep.

RICH MUISE

Harbor freight..on sale about $35. I needed a socket for my Jeep axel nut...didn't want to pay 20 bucks for one socket at the local auto parts store, so the HF set for 35 sounded good. That job was the only time I ever used the ratchet wrench with the set..LOL...the ratchet head literally fell apart during that first use..had to reassemble it. It's got a heck of a breaker bar with the set though.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

Any ideas on how to get the front lower pins out? Mine are rusted in quite well!
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RICH MUISE

I used a sledge hammer. I already had new ones, so I wasn't concerned with damaging the old ones getting them out. I do remember I had a time getting them out, for a while I wasn't sure I could, and I was able to do it from the top because my front sheetmetal was off. I don't envy you trying to get them out from under the car.

hiball3985

Lots of liquid wrench and a larger hammer. Have tried heating them?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Frankenstein57

Soak the heck out of them with PB blaster, let it sit. Try to crack them loose with a 6 point socket, maybe strike them first with a good flat drift and a large hammer. All of mine came out this way, and many were rust buckets.  Mark

RICH MUISE

Mark...I thought he was talking about the actual shafts that are pressed into the frame, not the bolts holding the control arm on. I assume you were talking about the bolts when you mentioned 6 point socket? Maybe I'm wrong.

Frankenstein57

I was thinking lower control arm pins

RICH MUISE

my booboo...I had forgotten the pins/shafts had a hex head.

57 Ford Kustom

Mark,
   I have had them soaking for a day in PB Blaster, ill give it a couple more until in do battle with it again. the rear ones came out slick, I guess years of oil leaks has been a gift to the car and me! :003:

Frankenstein57

I had the same results, rears came right out. You could heat the area surrounding the pin, then give it a pop.  Mark

57 Ford Kustom

Mark,   Ill give it a try! I ordered new pins this morning. Hated to, but I think in the long run its best.