News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Sway bar Kit

Started by LAUDY57, 2013-11-23 13:55

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Your's aren't like mine either. Mine were one piece made from angle iron. I'm surprised they would have only welded one side. Doesn't sound like a real cost saving change they've made either.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I wish it had been a one piece angle but I'm sure this will work. I'm use to having to hammer to fit, weld shut and paint to match on aftermarket stuff  :003:.

I'm forcing the paint dry in the kitchen oven before the wife returns from grocery shopping.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

LAUDY57

I'm force drying (big propane torch) the paint  on the ramps I made to get the car up enough to get the bars on easily! They'll get one end up 3 ft - poor boy's hoist. My brackets are welded one side also, haven't touched them until I decide if I want to change the shape for my particular application.
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

hiball3985

Quote from: LAUDY57 on 2013-12-15 11:47
I'm force drying (big propane torch) the paint  on the ramps I made to get the car up enough to get the bars on easily! They'll get one end up 3 ft - poor boy's hoist. My brackets are welded one side also, haven't touched them until I decide if I want to change the shape for my particular application.
I wish I had made a set like that years ago. My ramps are only about a foot high but it looks like enough room to do the front. I have some tall jack stands I made at one time and will use those on the rear when the time comes.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

What in my mind should have been an easy bolt on project has turned into a larger project then I anticipated.
First: two of the bumper bracket bolts refused to loosen and I snapped them off, I didn't think I was strong enough anymore to snap 1/2 bolts  :005:, OK a run to the store for all new bolts and washers. I got them a little longer because the ones that were in there seem like they are a little short after adding the thickness of the sway bar bracket. With that now out of the way 

Second:I noticed or should say just remembered my A arms have the rubber bumper that uses two bolts and I believe the struts are suppose to mount in the hole for the A arms that use a single stud  :005:. I guess I will have to drill some holes in the A arms after my nap.. :burnout:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-12-15 14:13

Second:I noticed or should say just remembered my A arms have the rubber bumper that uses two bolts and I believe the struts are suppose to mount in the hole for the A arms that use a single stud  :005:. I guess I will have to drill some holes in the A arms after my nap.. :burnout:
No....the bumper with the 2 bolts stays. There should be an additional unused hole in line with and a few inches forward of those bumper bolts. I'll find a pic if you need.
LOL..doesn't seem like you need a nap if your snapping off 1/2" bolts!

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-12-15 14:23
No....the bumper with the 2 bolts stays. There should be an additional unused hole in line with and a few inches forward of those bumper bolts. I'll find a pic if you need.
LOL..doesn't seem like you need a nap if your snapping off 1/2" bolts!
Thanks Rich I'll have to go out and look, the only other hole I saw was for the old OEM sway bar bracket. Some where I thought I read it went into the bumper hole. There's nothing in the instruction sheet that shows where it is suppose to go.

I need a nap even when I'm not working anything..

Edit: I found the holes LOL. Maybe my request to Santa should be new glasses.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

LAUDY57

Yup, I see the 2nd hole as well. Got the underside up high enough so that my *#&$%#& progressive lenses can focus, this is going to make things easier fer sure.
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

hiball3985

Laudy,
I love your ramps, that should make things easier. That front bar is damn heavy, I tied it up in approximate position with a few wire ties while I installed all the nuts and bolts..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Ramps look great...LOL...My ceiling ain't high enough for a ramp like that, besides I'd have a heck of a time pushin' it up there.
The ties idea is good ....what works even better for heavy or big stuff are those 2" wide velcro straps

Frankenstein57

Laudy, nice shop.  Love the skid plate

hiball3985

Just returned from a quick trip through the canyon, I'm impressed, handles great. I can't wait to get the rear on but that will be after the holidays..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

robhaerr

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-12-16 12:10
Just returned from a quick trip through the canyon, I'm impressed, handles great. I can't wait to get the rear on but that will be after the holidays..

You might wanna start road-racing a '57 Ranchero!

hiball3985

Quote from: robhaerr on 2013-12-17 08:31
You might wanna start road-racing a '57 Ranchero!
Start? I've been a road racer since 1966 when I had my first 57  :003: This is the only reason I bought the bars. Wish I had them back then  :burnout:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Yesterday one of my fears materialized. My front sits lower with the Granada spindles and the sway bar bottomed out on a driveway to a parking lot that I have used a dozen times in the past with no problem. Looks like it's time to design some sort of skid plate or find a different place to get a haircut  :003::burnout:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang