News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Lower Ball Joint Alternatives????

Started by drof75, 2014-02-27 11:30

Previous topic - Next topic

drof75

Does anyone know if someone has found an alternative for a 57 lower ball joint. THe cost is through the roof and nothing but junk. On my 3rd set from 3 vendor. I checked the 65 and up source, those are fairly high too. At this point different spindles to get a more reliable/affordable solution is now an option. This is a daily driver car. It just gets old paying out for junk. If I had the money a Fatman mustang II front end frame stub would go in.

Thanks in advance,
Buz

dgasman

The best lower ball joints made are from rare parts but they are very expensive ($150.00+)
But you can get them from amazon for $97.83 each . I know still not cheep but they are made to last a lifetime . I just bought a pair last week and they are really nice and heavy cast body's . The part #is Rp10112 .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

RICH MUISE

Those are great looking balljoints..thanks for posting that info. Particularly good to know about the Amazon source. The first time I have to replace my new ones...that's the way I'll go. My upper control arm shafts were Rare Parts..good stuff and MADE IN THE USA
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

It's really sad we have very few sources for good quality replacement parts, so much of it is junk  :005:.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 Ford Kustom

Guys,
   My Dad did a 79' Granada conversion on the car, I'm in the middle of replacing the front end bushings and was thinking that I should replace the upper and lower ball joints while I'm at it. would anyone have an idea of what I need? part # maybe? Thanks in advance!
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

hiball3985

Tim,
All the Granda conversions I've seen and my own use the stock 57 ball joints. Unless someone  knows something I don't.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 Ford Kustom

Cool! I guess if I don't hear anything different, I'll go with that! The thing that puzzled me, was that there was a set off new upper ball joints in the trunk, but the ball joint base wouldn't seat tight to the upper control arm. The mounting bolts didn't even line up straight, that's why I thought it was different.

57 Ford Kustom

one more quick question, The idler arm nuts stop dead part way to coming off, what is the trick?

hiball3985

Are you sure you have 57 upper A arms? Maybe the new ball joints are the wrong ones.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I have stock '57 balljoints with my Granada spindles.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

Hiball,
   The upper A arm is 57' I am thinking that the upper ball joint is either wrong, and Dad never returned it, (which explains his garage when we cleaned it out ! LOL!) or a cheap Chinese off brand! Anything on the idler arm removal?

Frankenstein57

It's been a long time since I did the Idler arm, but it seems to me there was a trick to threading the nut and turning the shaft out at the same time. I have an original 57 chassis manual in the shop, I'm in for the night, 0 degrees again and the yard is all ice from last weeks rain. I'll look tomorrow, Mark

57 Ford Kustom

Frankenstein57

Tim, I looked in the shop manuals, they didn't go into detail on the actual disassembly, but the process starts with removing the bracket from the frame. I remember having to thread the nut on while turning the arm the opposite direction, try that.  Mark

hiball3985

Tim,
Aren't the idler arms fun :003:. I wish I could give step by step instruction but I would have to have one right in front of me to do it. The most important thing is when you assemble it. It can be too tight or you steering will bind.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang