News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Lower Ball Joint Alternatives????

Started by drof75, 2014-02-27 11:30

Previous topic - Next topic

57 Ford Kustom

I hate BUSHINGS!! for the life of me I can't get the upper A arm bushings in! I have given up for tonight, might be better on a nights rest, and a clear head.
Tim :unitedstates: 
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

hiball3985

Tim,
Are you trying to pull them in with bolts?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Did you paint the control arms and get paint in the holes? You are trying to get just one in, and then the shaft before the second one, correct? How are you trying to get them in? Wish my memory was better on this.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

Guys,
  I was unable to get one completely in before I have to install the shaft, so I think the hard part is that in reality I'm trying to pull both in at once. Today I will try wrenching both sides at the same time, or I'll give up and bring it to a machine shop and let them deal with it! Lol!
Tim  :unitedstates:

hiball3985

Tim,
I set up both sides to go in but had to start with some longer bolts, then a little shorter and then finally the originals. One side pulled in easier then the other but eventually both went in. Good luck.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

canadian_ranchero

has any one ever used the repair kits they used to sell for the tower ball joints?the kits i have are adjustable.

hiball3985

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2014-03-02 09:06
has any one ever used the repair kits they used to sell for the tower ball joints?the kits i have are adjustable.
I had seen them advertised somewhere but had no idea what they were. What is adjustable?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 Ford Kustom

I just bought some nice upper ball joints yesterday, they were $35.00 from NAPA. Fit like a dream! Time will tell how they wear. Hiball, I am trying  to pull them in by stepping down the bolts, one is 1/8" from seating, another 3/16", so close, but yet so far!

hiball3985

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2014-03-02 10:02
I just bought some nice upper ball joints yesterday, they were $35.00 from NAPA. Fit like a dream! Time will tell how they wear. Hiball, I am trying  to pull them in by stepping down the bolts, one is 1/8" from seating, another 3/16", so close, but yet so far!
You are making progress and that's good. When I finished I looked at the bright side, I won't have to do that again in my life time  :003: I don't recall it being that difficult back in the 60's when I did them.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Tim...LOL...you're sounding like me with the "why is everything I do always so difficult?" I ask myself on every project. It sure adds to the admiration I have for guys that make stuff look easy, and to the understanding of why it takes years to do a complete car. Hang in there...you'll get it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

Thanks for the encouragement, I sure wish Dad was still around! He always knew a trick for everything. Then again, if it was easy to do he would have done It! Lol!

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-03-02 09:42
I had seen them advertised somewhere but had no idea what they were. What is adjustable?
it is theaded on the bottom to adjust the end play on the ball joint

hiball3985

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2014-03-02 12:49
it is theaded on the bottom to adjust the end play on the ball joint
THANK YOU..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 Ford Kustom

Gasman, that looks cool,but how would that help with installing the upper ones? The inner shaft has to be installed, and that tool wouldn't work? Right?