News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

borgeson box install

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2015-01-11 01:58

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

picture of my borgeson steering box install.doing this at the same time as my engine swap

lalessi1

I see the clutch rod, of particular interest to me is whether or not the clutch equalizer bar clears the steering box, from this angle it looks like it may very well clear. Keep us posted.
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

that is coming out,going with a auto trans

lalessi1

Whoops, I was looking at your engine swap thread and I realized that...I was coming back to clear my post. It would be a great help if you are still at the point in the picture if you could position your z-bar and take a couple of more pics. It is difficult to make an educated guess in the absence of info. I get conflicting information from different sources and I know there are a couple of guys on the forum looking for that info. Pics are worth a thousand words.
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

i will see what i can do about some pictures

lalessi1

Thanks, I really appreciate it. If you can position the z-bar from the frame side bracket and hold it mostly level and at 90 degrees to the center axis of the car any pics will help give me a sense of whether mine will clear the box. Here is a pic from the only real vantage point I have on mine relative to box clearance. I have a 58 box.
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

here are some pictures.looks like arm will hit box.may be able to modify arm.

lalessi1

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to do that. Looks like the cearance issues are with the zbar arm on the pedal side not something I considered. Looks like a fairly simple fix. Clearance under the box looks like it might work. Thanks again.
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

the turning radius looks good.i have the granada type sindles.going to be about 3.5 turns stop to stop.i needed to do a little grinding on the frame[at the welding seam on the top] and needed to shim the lower front bolt to make the steering box fit

VwDrvFnd

Are you going with a floor shifter or a column shift with your automatic? It really looks like there is not enough room between the firewall and the box to put any kind of column shift linkage. I am also going to do this install but i was hoping to be able to use a column shift column. doesnt look like it's going to fit.
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

canadian_ranchero

i am working on a coupler set up,with a adapter to mount the coluum tube to the box.will post some pictures when i get it a little more engineered.if this works,there will be room for the stock shifter

canadian_ranchero

here are some pictures,the safty switch will not clear[does not matter,will be on the trans].i have not fitted the center shaft yet[will be from a 59 box,so will the signal/horn switch]so far it looks like it should work.the 3rd picture shows what i made the adapter from[exhaust adapter]how much i cut off and the coupler you will need[borgeson part]as you can see the shifter is in the stock location.will keep you posted on progress   

lalessi1

Gary, Do you recall the inside diameter of the column extension (or the OD of the box where the column slips on). I have an Edsel column that is shorter than the 57 column and is expanded on the end already. Great pics by the way. Thanks.
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

will try to get that for you tonight

canadian_ranchero

the borgeson box with the rubber by the input shaft removed is 1.815 in od.the 1957 coluum tube is 1.375 in id and 1.5 in od