News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 engine swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2009-01-25 23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

rclaborne

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-05-22 13:08
HAVE YOU HAD THE FORD MOTORSPORTS HEADERS ON THE CAR? DO THEY CLEAR THE CONTROL ARMS? IF SO, DO YOU HAVE PART NUMBERS BY ANY CHANCE?
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES...RICH

The headers I am using (see pics links above) are these same ones for sale on eBay right now... http://foxyurl.com/TWZ The thing is I have not fit the engine as yet so I am not 100% sure they are going to fit; but they are the smallest ones Ford makes. The only ones smaller are the Cobra cast iron manifolds that C_R is using.

rclaborne

Quote from: cruzin71 on 2010-05-25 23:15
you will still have to run a different wiring harness for electric fan as the detail zone harness will not run the fan. they found that the vrm control will not work correctly. Ron Francis has a harness for the cooling fans that work well.

They say their loom works the fan, fuel pump and AC for the '96. Detail Zone and Ron Francis are one and the same AFAIK. If the fan is an issue for you , just use a thermocouple switch; the bulb goes in where the drain petcock is. Comes with a small control so you can set the trigger temp. Available at most hotrod shops.

canadian_ranchero

my ranchero has wiring issues so i was thinking of using the whole harness.under hood,lights,dash ect.

RICH MUISE

crusin71...what is vrm control that doesn't function properly, and is that only an issue with 97-98? I'm planning on using a 94.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

cruzin71

Sorry incorrect it is called The variable load control module (VLCM) control.  detail zone  wiring harness will not work with this.  They do sell a kit that will run the fan just fine.  so far no other issues, I am waiting for some extra $$$$$$ to do the exhaust. I will have a driver at that point, then I will work out any other bugs that come about.

rclaborne

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-05-26 22:41
crusin71...what is vrm control that doesn't function properly, and is that only an issue with 97-98? I'm planning on using a 94.

C71 is using a 97 or 98 motor. You should be fine with the 94. The DetailZone wiring should work well for you. They are very friendly; call them and discuss your situation. The VLCM controls the fan, fuel pump and AC. You can run all of these items by other means if you need to but better to use the VLCM (VRCM) so your ECU does not throw codes.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: rclaborne on 2010-05-29 12:30
C71 is using a 97 or 98 motor. You should be fine with the 94. The DetailZone wiring should work well for you. They are very friendly; call them and discuss your situation. The VLCM controls the fan, fuel pump and AC. You can run all of these items by other means if you need to but better to use the VLCM (VRCM) so your ECU does not throw codes.
VLCM controls fan on and off and speed,controls fuel pump off and on and wide open throttle fuel pump power,ac fan control and wide open throttle ac shut off 

rclaborne

If you don't already have a front sump oil pan, there is one on eBay for $50. Forgot to check if he had the pickup tube...
http://foxyurl.com/Uiw

RICH MUISE

O.K., you guys have had 2 weeks without a post...you should be about done by now (l.o.l.)...seriously, any progress? Also I was wondering about what you guys have planned for fuel tank,pump,lines ect.

rclaborne

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-06-12 06:45
O.K., you guys have had 2 weeks without a post...you should be about done by now (l.o.l.)...seriously, any progress? Also I was wondering about what you guys have planned for fuel tank,pump,lines ect.

Umm, Yes.

I completed work on the trans last weekend. Basically, installed the Lokar shift adapter. Pictures are here: http://bit.ly/cUtg6G. A very simple operation that only took about 30 minutes (half of which time was spent waiting for the parts driver to show up with the filter and gasket. I had the trans on an engine stand making the job quite easy.

As you can see in the pics, the MLPS goes on first and the lever goes over it so that you can easily adjust the shift angle to suit your needs.

Perhaps next weekend we pull the front clip off my Squire and begin to remove the 428/C6 that's in there now.

Later

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-06-12 06:45
my plan for the fuel pump is to use a inline frame mount as close to the fuel line outlet at the tank as i can get.got a new pump and bracket for a 90 ford 1 ton 460 that will work.picked up a moroso fuel line return kit that puts the return line into the filler neck.

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-06-15 11:22
my plan for the fuel pump is to use a inline frame mount as close to the fuel line outlet at the tank as i can get.got a new pump and bracket for a 90 ford 1 ton 460 that will work.picked up a moroso fuel line return kit that puts the return line into the filler neck.

Once we get this thing on the lift I'm going to see if we can mount the 96 MK VIII tank on the wagon and use the OEM pump.

rclaborne

OK. The 57 Squire is going into the shop today to begin the fitment process. First up: remove fenders and other front end parts. Next: Removing the 428/C6.  Will post progress pictures as time goes on.

KidKourier

rclaborne, If you don't mind me asking,what are you going to do with that old worn out    428/C6?    Hint-Hint_ Hint!LOL  KID  Here in Riverside County,Ca. What are neighbors for? :deadhorse:

RICH MUISE

congrats on the big step...imagine how much interest you wouldn't have in your project if you were dropping a 350 into a belaire! keep us posted