News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Y Block Water Pump Pulley

Started by oldschoolcustom300, 2019-12-03 11:43

Previous topic - Next topic

oldschoolcustom300

Hello, I ended up with a bent water pump pulley on my 312 when the previous pump shaft broke.  Been having some trouble finding a replacement.  It has a 5/8 center shaft hole, pulley diameter is just a bit larger than 6 3/4 and height is 2 7/16, standard Ford 4 bolt attaching pattern.  Part number is B7A 8509 C.  Larger more common 7 3/8 dia pulley hits the crank pulley.  Anybody have one of these?  Thanks

SkylinerRon

You might have to change the crank pulley and use the more common wp pulley.

Good luck,

Ron.

oldschoolcustom300

Thanks Ron but I'd rather not turn an easy four bolt job into a bigger job!  I know these things are out there, just a matter of finding one, swap meets are full of mustang and 60's/70's stuff, one guy told me he stopped bringing y block stuff cause nobody knows what it is.  NOS sources seem to have sold out of these so I think there is someone with a nos or used one hanging around waiting for a connect!  Appreciate the help!

RICH MUISE

Wecome to the forum.
From our list of salvage yards:
Pierce, Steven
     Twenty Nine Palms, Ca.
     310-631-0053
     Member notes(Shoprat, 57AGIN): has lots of parts. Long time '57 Ford enthusiast and dealer. Formerly from L.A. area. Has cars and parts.
Here's a link to a thread Bob Lee/57AGIN posted with some pics:
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5617.45          scroll down to post #50
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Tom S

Quote from: oldschoolcustom300 on 2019-12-03 11:43
Hello, I ended up with a bent water pump pulley on my 312 when the previous pump shaft broke. ...
It doesn't look too bad.  You might be able to straighten it.

KYBlueOval

I'd suggest you look up Stillwell's Obsolete Parts in Evansville In. and ask Greg Stillwell if he has one. He specializes in Ford parts.You never know...........he may just have one.

KULTULZ

GOOGLE ECG-8509-F3 and you should come across one
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

oldschoolcustom300

Thanks, this one might work, though from my initial search it looks to be a bit shorter than the one I have, might have to make a spacer.  I'll be chasing the other sources this week, will keep you posted, still open to anybody finding one !  Great help guys, thanks again!

KULTULZ

Quote from: oldschoolcustom300 on 2019-12-08 11:21

Thanks, this one might work, though from my initial search it looks to be a bit shorter than the one I have, might have to make a spacer.

You're not sure of the PN? Do you see a STAMPING ID NO on the pulley?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

SkylinerRon

That B7A-C part # is spec'd for extra cooling package. That's probably why it is hard to find.

Ron.

KULTULZ

Quote from: oldschoolcustom300 on 2019-12-08 11:21

Thanks, this one might work, though from my initial search it looks to be a bit shorter than the one I have, might have to make a spacer.

I think he means after seeing a photo of the B7A 8509-C, he thought it looked too short. I posted the catalog page so he can measure his to hopefully find the needed one.

Hope it helps in his search. I know how he feels.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

oldschoolcustom300

Thanks again for the help guys, no stamping numbers on the part I have, I picked the part number from the parts book, same pages shown, extra cooling makes sense as I was running an A/C and plan to go back to that.  I don't have any dimension specs on the ECG 8509 F3 other than people measuring it as a little bigger in diameter, over 7"
and a little shorter on the height.

KULTULZ

Quote from: oldschoolcustom300 on 2019-12-09 15:05

Thanks again for the help guys, no stamping numbers on the part I have, I picked the part number from the parts book, same pages shown, extra cooling makes sense as I was running an A/C and plan to go back to that. 

I don't have any dimension specs on the ECG 8509 F3 other than people measuring it as a little bigger in diameter, over 7" and a little shorter on the height.

If you look at the catalog excerpts I posted, it will give the dimensions so you can compare with your damaged pulley. ECG-8509-F3 is an STAMPING ID NO, not an actual PN.

I think I may be confusing you.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

oldschoolcustom300

Yes, we are back on track, I was confusing the stamping number with a part number, though I thought it did look odd!  So back to those pages, looks to me like the two closest to what I have are B7A 8509 C and B5A-8509-D, the one with the stamping number you gave is close as well but may be a bit oversize in dia.  I know that 7.37 in dia has interference, I have one that I bought before I realized how detailed this all was. I suspect it is B7A 8509 B.  Do you know the part number for the one you referenced with the stamping ID?
Thanks, sorry for the confusion.

RICH MUISE

jfyi....B7A prefix is the code for 1957, B5A is the code for 1955.Any part number beginning with B7A is a 1957 part. With that said I'm not 100% sure if part numbers used over multiple years continued using the part number given to it on it's first year of usage, or if it changed prefixes as the years went by. Keeping the same prefix would make the most sense.
Not trying to add to the confusion, just bringing up the fact that even though a part number has a B5A prefix indicating 1955, it still may be a part used in '57
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe