News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Y Block Water Pump Pulley

Started by oldschoolcustom300, 2019-12-03 11:43

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Rich, you are basically correct. The problem with Ford part numbers is they change them too often.
That same B5A or B7A part number could be changed to C1A a few years later as an example. Ford part numbers even drive Ford parts men in the parts department crazy at times :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

oldschoolcustom300

Yes, thank heaven for the Text and Illustrations books, have owned both for decades.  You are also right that a preceding year number could have been used later, was why I first focused only on the B7A part but with the description and to widen potential success the B5A number comes into play.

KULTULZ

Quote from: oldschoolcustom300 on 2019-12-10 10:45

Yes, we are back on track, I was confusing the stamping number with a part number, though I thought it did look odd!  So back to those pages, looks to me like the two closest to what I have are B7A 8509 C and B5A-8509-D, the one with the stamping number you gave is close as well but may be a bit oversize in dia.  I know that 7.37 in dia has interference, I have one that I bought before I realized how detailed this all was. I suspect it is B7A 8509 B.  Do you know the part number for the one you referenced with the stamping ID?

Thanks, sorry for the confusion.

The STAMPING ID NO I gave was described by the EvilBay seller of the B7A 8509-C pulley.

When FORD cataloging gives AC, that is meant as FORD ASSEMBLY or possibly DEALER INSTALL AC, not aftermarket. The damaged pulley you have, is it correct for the application? All you have to do is take the measurements from the take-off pulley and match it with the sizing chart in the parts listing.

Is the engine original to the car?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

oldschoolcustom300

Hi guys, just wanted to let you know I did finally find the correct replacement water pump pulley for my 312.  It was indeed the B5A 8509 D and I ended up finding a guy who happened to have a NOS one.  Interesting that it was manufactured differently than my damaged part which probably indicates that Ford may have used multiple sources for the part spec. Where mine had a ridge where the nose was fit into the sheave, this one looks smooth all the way down. So all in all a happy ending, and I am looking forward to getting this project back on the road as the pandemic winds down.  All the best to you all and thanks for your assistance.