News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

update on Rich's build

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-05-07 23:40

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Speedhut is an American made source for design-them-yourself gauges. Just the traditional round style similar to Classic, Dolphin, etc. www.speedhut.com
The only one that I'm aware of that makes a new gauge to fit our '57 oem cluster is Dakota Digital.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

I saw an ad for them last night in my Street Rodder magazine. Looks interesting. Think I'll check them out...since they appear to have ALL the gauges...and I wanted to do a custom dash. Not real crazy about the digital stuff...I'm old school in the aspect that I want needles moving around/. LOL!!!

edit: Looks like a nice set of gauges and prices aren't bad either. I'll have to tuck that away for future reference. Thanks!

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-12-23 21:00
Speedhut is an American made source for design-them-yourself gauges. Just the traditional round style similar to Classic, Dolphin, etc. www.speedhut.com
The only one that I'm aware of that makes a new gauge to fit our '57 oem cluster is Dakota Digital.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

I finally have a speedometer...YAHOO! I now know the elevation at my house is 3636 ft! It took me longer to undo the wiring to the one I never could get working than to wire up the new one. Took it out for a test drive and I'm really happy with it. I haven't totally finished up the wiring, still need to hook up an always hot wire so the GPS doesn't need to reacquire when the car is shut down briefly, like at a gas station. They say no affect on the battery when it's hot full time...something like 25 micro amp draw. I also need to squeeze under there and remove the wires I'm no longer using.
Yesterday was a good tech day for me, I also finally (after 10 attempts) got my cell phone to pair with the '57's bluetooth radio!! When your deaf as I am, and hearing on a cell phone is hard, those bluetooth radios are wonderful. Also like the hands-free of it.
I also ordered a low intensity hi beam dash indicator to replace the high intensity one I mistakenly installed. Man those things will burn a hole in your forehead at night! Ron Francis.....16. for the light, 11 shipping = 27. URGGGG!
BTW, the new speedo blends in well with the old, so my plans now are just to replace the tachometer, and leave the old smaller gauges as is. I'll post pics later.

mustang6984

Congrats Rich! Sounds like an extension of Christmas! Enjoy!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

OK...more on the Speedhut GPS speedometer. I love this thing....almost! Here is a pic of it in the daytime with my "old" TPI gauges.

RICH MUISE

However I have a problem with it at night. This is totally my fault as I did not pay enough attention to their website when looking at the day/night views...which were very accurate, btw.

It was tough getting an accurate pic of this....it is not as bright as it looks in the 1st pic. The second pic I'm posting is not accurate either, it's with a flash, so the gauges are actually brighter than it looks in the pic...so, somewhere in between.

RICH MUISE

So, at first my idea of just ordering a new tach to match the new design speedometer and keeping the old smaller gauges seemed to be out the window and I'd have to order them as well. I was very disappointed, not only because of the cost, and the labor as well, but mainly I liked the nighttime look of my old gauges much much better than the greenish white. I browsed the Speedhut FAQ on there website, and a question was asked if they could match the design of other gages, and their response was: in most cases, yes! So I called and described the problem....wanted to keep the daytime appearance but change the nighttime to match my orangy light of my old gauges.
THEY CAN DO IT!!
He said they would have to basically rebuild the gauge because it used a different technology for the lighting and a different type of gauge dial face. I mentioned this sounds like it's going to be expensive, but he replied I'd have to pay shipping and their charge of 20. I could have kissed him!

mustang6984

Customer service? Without charging an arm and a leg? WOW! Old school attitude!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Yes, very happy with their service...they aim to please. Besides they get the arm and leg up front, lol. I paid about the same for this speedometer as the entire 6 gauge TPI set, but I guess the key there is this one works! Made in Utah.
When I first road tested it, I had the regular map/gps on so that I could compare, and the two were exactly the same mph except the speedo was much much quicker response time. This was verified when I had the speedo in altitude mode. at 45 mph, when I crested a small abrupt hill, the reading peaked then started declining before the back end of the car got off the high point!
The speedo has a wired gps receiver unit that has to be exposed to the sky. If you look at the first pic I posted, you can see a bit of it below the gauge panel and behind the hazard switch. It is magnetic mount for most dash top applications, I just laid mine on top of the steering column for testing. It works well there, so I'll just leave it as it is out of site.

mustang6984

Excellent! You're right...barely visible in that pic.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Got the speedometer pulled, and sent off to speedhut for the nightime lighting change.
Lynn...I ordered my new rear quarter fixed glass seals yesterday, so hopefully in a few weeks I can answer your question about the glass size for cutting.

mustang6984

Ah...moving forward...always a good sign. You should be cruising in that bad puppy this summer!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

I've been getting some small odds n ends taken care of. I finally got my cell phone to pair with the bluetooth radio. It sure helps when you're half deaf to be able to listen thru the radio speakers, and crank the volume up.
I added a second 12 v outlet, this one wired to an always hot terminal.
I finally got the new gas tank vent line run. The only way I could run the new line without it taking an almost immediate downward slope was to go up into the trunk, so that's what I did.It's got about 6" of rise over a few feet before it drops, so this should take care of the gas spewing problem. The issue here is because of my vent line coming off the in-tank electric fuel pump at the top of the tank. Unlike oem.
While I was in the trunk, I added a spring loaded trunk popper, and a coating of silicon lubricant on the trunk seal. I was having a problem with the seal sticking to the trunk edging so the electric solenoid wasn't working. Even when I used the backup pull cable, I'd still have to give the lid a good tug to break it loose. The silicon did the trick. Now it pops open first time every time......even after sitting for a few days. Hopefully when the summer heat comes back, it'll still work well.
I did get the high beam indicator replaced with a lower intensity one.
I'm giving up on my under dash electronic radio antennae. I ordered a power auto retracting one last night. I've got too much stuff under the passenger front fender (hoses, wiring), so I'll mount it on the back.
I'm avoiding some of the longer projects until I get my bathroom remodel project done.

mustang6984

You have been sailing along! The little things are the ones that seem to be the most annoying to get done at times.

I have always liked the idea of the hidden radio antennas...but have never found one that really works well. I'm afraid that technology just has not progressed enough to be of use.

I feel your pain about the bathroom remodel...another never-ending task...remodels.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Just got off the phone with Speedhut. According to the usps tracking number, the package  was delivered to them last Thursday. They can't find it, don't show any record of it being received.....he's going to see what he can find on his end. URGGGGHH!
I did insure it, but dealing with PO, who knows how long that'll take.