News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

update on Rich's build

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-05-07 23:40

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

And some wonder why the P.O. is always on the verge of being broke! Good luck!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Not found yet. Today the post office here made a printout of the gps coordinates of the final delivery scan. That scan was done about 60 feet from Speedhut's location. They are within a large commercial complex. At least the scan confirmed I probably had the correct address on the package, and my guess is it just got delivered to a wrong suite.
I filed a formal search request tonight, will have to wait another week before I can file an insurance claim.

Took the '57 out for a ride today. Filled it up first, and drove about 40 miles. No gas leaking out the vent tube, YAHOO!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

They should be able to find it...the carrier should be able to remember where he/she left it and retrieve it...I would think.

You are out driving it? I am JEALOUS! LOL!!! I spent the afternoon scraping 59+ years of crud off the firewall, and still have a little to go. Then finish it off with a wire wheel on my grinder. After that...under the car to begin scraping off the bottom of the same gunk. I was hoping to have a rotisserie by now, but my flip house in AZ still hasn't sold...and I need to move forward here...so under I go.

Post a pic of you ride somewhere out on the road...I wanna see it!   :ttiwwp:   hehehehehehe!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

I thought from some of your previous comments you had assumed I was in the build stage. I got it driveable  Nov '15 after 11 years. I'm in the fine-tuning/tweeking stages now. It probably will never be totally finished. I may have a pic or two in the archives.
#1......my first "cruise" 50 miles @ "Tex" on rt 60 in Canon, Tx (this was HUGE STEP for me)
#2......not far...downtown Amarillo
#3......My first long cruise, 800 miles, this was in Elk City, Oklahoma
#4......Went up to Colorado for the Thin Air Nationals in Green Mtn. Falls. This was taken overlooking Cripple Creek, my home away from home when I lived in Colorado

RICH MUISE

Next was a show in Santa Fe, New Mexico 600 mile round trip
Goodguys show in Fort Worth at Texas Motor Speedway 800 mile round trip
on a Rod run to Childress on Saturday, 230 mile rt, one of a dozen going to a show
then a rod run to the Canyon on Sunday 210 mile rt, about 60 or 80 cars

RICH MUISE

I then did another trip up to Colorado. Wanted another mountain cruise before snow started flying.This is a  Motel in Manitou Springs I've been staying at since 2003 on my Colo. trips
Last one is my favorite photo. Lake Texoma in Oklahoma.

Best part of a build thread is when you can do post like these!!

mustang6984

WOW! That is one beautiful ride! I really like the grey color. Nice stance too. Sounds like you have really been driving the daylights out of it too!
Did you alter the stance or did it have that rake to it on it's own after you put the motor in? Mine had a little nose down on it automatically...I always figured it was because of the 352 it was running. I do like that stance!

Thanks for the pics. Beautiful ride...you should be damned proud of it.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Thanks.
Haha....The old long-time members who have been following my build frustrations are probably grinning at your ride height question because they may remember what I went thru to get it there. I have 2 1/2 dropped spindles along with (originally) new 6 cyl coil springs from eatons. My 4.6dohc/4r70w drivetrain was so much lighter than the oem 6 cyl., my car looked like a gasser.
Even with the dropped spindles, it rode about 2" higher than oem in the front. (1st pic)
I had seen so many times where the combination of dropped spindles and Aerostar springs made the drop too low, but since my drivetrain was so much lighter than normal, I tried it anyways. Way too low. was bottoming out on everything,(pic 2), Next was cutting the Eaton 6 cyl springs to get it where it is now. Lynn here on the forum did the calculations for how much to cut off and it was right on the money. (pic3) All that fiddling took a few months.
The back right now is 1" higher than oem because I'm using new 6 leaf Ranchero/SW springs in the back. I bought some 1" lowering blocks to get it down, hopefully improving some handling issues I have. That's a project coming up real quick on my to-do list.

RICH MUISE

Keesha and I went out for a ride this afternoon in the '57...storm coming in tonight. Keesha was sitting in the front seat looking around. At a light, the guy on my right rolled his window down and said.."Man, that's what life's all about", and did a hand motion towards us. "A man and his Dog. That's a beautiful dog you got. Then added: "I like your car" as an afterthought.
Kinda put things back in perspective for me.

djfordmanjack

always great seeing you out in all those places Rich. A good dog need's a walk and so does a good car! :002: both are important things in life.

mustang6984

I see what you mean in each pic. Not sure what was the original motor for mine...I should check. I do know that I sure liked the stance it had before. I put a new suspension in it back in '76...and then shelved it for 40 years. so the springs have NEVER had an engine on them. I am hoping everything will come out correct...if not...there may well be some cutting of springs in my future as well.
Think I will go with the Granada set-up for front discs...and my rear leafs are good I believe...although they do need to be cleaned up and painted.

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2017-01-12 13:38
Thanks.
Haha....The old long-time members who have been following my build frustrations are probably grinning at your ride height question because they may remember what I went thru to get it there. I have 2 1/2 dropped spindles along with (originally) new 6 cyl coil springs from eatons. My 4.6dohc/4r70w drivetrain was so much lighter than the oem 6 cyl., my car looked like a gasser.
Even with the dropped spindles, it rode about 2" higher than oem in the front. (1st pic)
I had seen so many times where the combination of dropped spindles and Aerostar springs made the drop too low, but since my drivetrain was so much lighter than normal, I tried it anyways. Way too low. was bottoming out on everything,(pic 2), Next was cutting the Eaton 6 cyl springs to get it where it is now. Lynn here on the forum did the calculations for how much to cut off and it was right on the money. (pic3) All that fiddling took a few months.
The back right now is 1" higher than oem because I'm using new 6 leaf Ranchero/SW springs in the back. I bought some 1" lowering blocks to get it down, hopefully improving some handling issues I have. That's a project coming up real quick on my to-do list.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Update on my lost speedometer fiasco. The USPS has denied the claim saying the package was delivered. I guess they consider 60 feet away at another business as "delivered".
I'm angry. Need to stay away from the PO today.

mustang6984

Typical government attitude..."we made a mistake...since it wasn't on purpose...not our problem."

Oh and my Courier...originally a 6 with a 3-speed. Looked it up last night.

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2017-01-23 10:20
Update on my lost speedometer fiasco. The USPS has denied the claim saying the package was delivered. I guess they consider 60 feet away at another business as "delivered".
I'm angry. Need to stay away from the PO today.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

I ordered a replacement speedometer last night. With my luck now they'll find the old one. 10 days or so I should be back in business.
I also started installation of an electric antenae. No room on the front fenders with all the wiring, etc, so it's on the back driver's side. I put it on that side because I already have a small wire bundle going to the front there, and it's richt above my auxillary power distribution box and grounding terminal. It needs 11 1/2" clearance underneath, so it had to go back a little further than I would have prefered to clear the wheel well. I did some temporary wiring to check the function, but also need to extend the mast so I can brace the unit at the bottom in the correct/verticle position.
The antenae I'm using is one I found on ebay amist all the made in China stuff. It's an new old stock Belknapp(?), with a 37" mast. It seems to be made quite well, heavyish, good wiring, etc. Did I mention cheap? 45 ish incl. shipping. Now hopefully I'll be getting some AM radio stations so I can listen to baseball games on road trips and get the weather channel my marine radio has.

gasman826

installed antennas in the dealerships...always hated punching a new hole in the fender.  I have GPS, navigation, and traffic info antennas on the inside of the Custom.  So I installed an inside AM-FM antenna.  It seems to work better than the GPS antenna.