News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Summer 2011- the project between here and there.

Started by Lono, 2010-09-01 17:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Lono

Now that summer is all but the final squeezin's, I'm getting into the Ranch wagon.
I planned on getting right with the mechanical and not start on the body till later.

I'm still waiting for my neibour to have enough time so taht we can get the truck up here to pull the motor. He works out of town and when he gets home for 2 days, his wife has a honey do list from hell waiting for him. So time to start stripping that blue paint to see whats lurking under it.
I found it sitting on the trailer like this:

It gave me the chance to dig around under it to check the floors and body mounts. All in all, the floors are the work of things, the body looked solid. Shook hands and said, I'll take it. A little digging will prove me right or wrong.

My friend and I got home from looking at it and less than an hour later the owner was pulling in my yard , dropping it off.

Once inside I started pulling out left over aout parts from '70's cougars and LTD's. The original wheels were thrashed but rollers and thats about all that I can say good about them besides they came off real easy.

The blue paint seemed pretty flakey and with a pressure washer in hand I pulled it out of the shop and hosed off what I could off the front end.

Remember the crappy grey primer that wouldnt stick to anything.. well thats whats under the blue paint.

Rather than sand the original paint before coating in gunk primer, they feather edged the chips and scratches and hosed the entire body down in grey before applying the blue. The benifit? Sure makes for easy paint removal and the original pant is gnerally intact.

For the next while I'll leave the tim in place but remove it later on this winter when I get full blown into the bodywork.

So, thats where I'll be spending winter. No complaints, its better than working outside!
\\\"I refuse to buy another project....is that car for sale?\\\"

JimNolan

Lono,
   Looks like a nice platform for building a nice car. The guy that did my bodywork just bought a 56 wagon to redo. I think it's great because he's always had chevy's before he stated working on my 57 and 63. He told me the other day that he remembered what I told him about chevy's, they are like A holes, everybodies got one.
   Anyway, you've got a nice ride to work on. The pictures tell what kind of job you want to accomplish. And as far as a winter project, count on it being a never ending project. I'm getting ready to put a 390/406 that should have @ 340 hp in my 57 now. I can't wait till winter. Good luck with your project. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

shopratwoody

Looks like a nice wagon. The work begins :003: I hate blocksanding :005:
I hate blocksanding!

Lono

Quote from: shopratwoody on 2010-09-01 20:16
Looks like a nice wagon. The work begins :003: I hate blocksanding :005:

me too.. thats why I fold sandpaper and just use my hand! 
:iamwithstupid:  just joking.  :002:

Lono

In my quest to clean off all the old blue paint I've yet to discover any horrific rust. The fender wells are like candy.
I'm pushing to get the worst of the old paint off now so that come winter I wont be opening the doors to blow out the dust. Just about froze "one" off last year doing that.

ahhhhhhh...so this is why they're called a long roof
:iamwithstupid:

Frankenstein57

That's a pretty sweet ride, must not use road salt up in that part of Canada. Mark

Lono

Its been in dry storage for at least 30 years.
The fellow I bought it from got it from his step father and it had been parked when step dad got it so no telling how long its been dry.

the floors will need addressing this winter, both front and rears were water logged at one time.
The vin tag is American so me thinks it spent its like stateside. Come to think of it, I gotta go chec kthe tag to see where it was made.

Lono

just thinking out loud here....

( not the best photochop but you know what i mean)  :icon_super:

Lono

More sanding and questing for body rot.

I'm pleased to report I've finally found some old body work.
The drivers side of the deck lid has a skim coat about 3 x 2. In digging I found it was a dent, not rust.
Drip rails... mint
Deck lid top and bottom... mint
under deck lid and rear splash apron... all mint.

2 minor dents on the roof, other than that, smooth like butter.
Tomorrow, the final door, quarter and rockers and clean up the shop.

Frankenstein57

If you are having second thoughts, I'm sure we could arrange shipping to Wisconsin. Always wanted a 2 door wagon.  Mark

Lono

thank you for that generous offer, but I'll struggle through somehow ( placing back of hand to his fevered brow).  :002:

Dont think I'll go for the DelReo look. I kinda like the simple stainless look. I just need to quest for pictures to get inspired for the right colour combo.

RICH MUISE

Have you tried 1957ford.com for pics? It's probably the best place to start.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Lono

Lono

Thanks cool 57. that was a great way to burn off an hour.  :003:

Well today ends the exploritory sanding round one.
Where I expected to find rust... there was none.

I am releaved that I did finally find some rot in the tailgate, but not a heart break. Some might call this a minor blemish.

For the life of me I couldnt find the green thats suppose to be the original colour. The tag reads WE1 ( and the car came from San Jose too). I've gone under the doors and chipped away at the blue and i keep coming up with the white  (cream) but no green. Is that where the 1 come in the code?

Looking forward to Tailgate party 2011!

So with the shop swept out I guess I'll turn to pulling the interior to keep me busy until the motor arrives.