News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

windshield wiper motor install?????

Started by Zapato, 2011-04-05 20:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Roothawg

I'm not sure really what you have to start with, but I just bought the Newport kit for my 57. I had it bolted on and wired in under 3 hours.  If you use the stock location for the switch, you need to make sure you get the "shaft extension" kit.  It held me up since I had to re-order.

Nice kit works perfect.

Zapato

Roothawg, I'm just one of those stubborn guys that likes to find different ways rather than 1-800 parts. Even though there is nothing wrong with that approach. Been "recycling" parts from all different sources for 40+ years now don't believe its possible to change that now. That been said I do on occasion buy from the aftermarket.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Frankenstein57

I'm sure there is a motor out there that will work, the back and forth sweep could be a problem.Most newer motors go round & round. My car came with a stock motor adapted to it, but it was a frustrating piece of crap so I bought one. I think it was under $200   Mark

cool57

It's probably been mentioned but 57 Chev electric motors bolt on, I am using one. Another thought-Chevs used cables and spools like Ford did; Chev motor bolts up to Ford; Pacific Western Design makes a link system for 57 Chev to replace cables; ergo ( :003:) maybe Pac West unit can be made to work on Ford(?)

TexasFordGuy

I for one would like to use a different system.  Maybe this group should do a poll and give the data to Pac West Design to help persuade them.
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

RICH MUISE

I am making several assumptions here...the '57 chev "bolt in replacement" is a back and forth sweep,as well as the Newport Engrg. '58 ford motor???
I looked at the Pac west '57 chev kit...very complicated install even in '57 chevs...location of all the components looks like it would not work for '57 fords (It looks like it would interfere with defrost ducts in their intirety aside from placing the motor in the brake/clutch bracket area. And at 480. it's alot of money for something that would need heavy modification) Sounds like the '58 setup is the easiest way to go by far.
If any interested members missed it, I had a long post last year about installing a '97 Mustang wiper motor (roundy-round, not back and forth) inside the cowl. there's a pic of the modified wiper shafts and hard links I fabricated to make it work on the '57 with our one-going clockwise-and-one going counterclockwise setup.The post is in the general technical discusion area, currently page 7. Also, I'm posting a pic of the sealed access door for the wiper motor. I found an outdoor electrical box that should be pretty leakproof to bond to the cowl area. Not too pretty, but functional and no one will see it.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

cool57

So the Pac West wouldn't fit in the space currently occupied by the cables and spools, with the motor remaining in the stock location?

Frankenstein57

Guys, here's a shot of the 58 wiper arms. 

Zapato

After searching for information online its apparent to me that the simplest & best way to install electric wipers is to do it the way Ford should have done it in the first place. And that is to use nothing but 58 parts from the cowl forward and and a early 60s (again ford) electric motor. If you look at Frankenstein57's latest posting you know that it doesn't get any better. I thought finding the 58 parts would be hard but have found them rather easy to find thanks to the internet.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

That's a nice clean set-up. Zap..just make sure that 'early 60's electric motor goes back and forth, not roundy-round. When both connecting links  are connected to the wiper motor arm, a roundy-round won't work. Does anyone know at what point Ford stopped using the back and forth motor?
  Rich

RICH MUISE

Quote from: cool57 on 2011-04-23 17:27
So the Pac West wouldn't fit in the space currently occupied by the cables and spools, with the motor remaining in the stock location?
Are we talking about the same thing here..here is what I found for Pacific western design's '57 chev kit. I have no idea what the original '57 chev setup was, but it looks to me like this kit is desined to come back thru the firewall with all of the linkage on the interior side of the firewall (on the '57 fords right where the defrost duct plenum is.) I don't see how or why you would want to adapt this to a '57 ford, especally modiying it so the motor ends up in the original location on the engine side of the firewall. If you're willing to that much work, why pay $500... just by a salvage yard late model setup and adapt it.I think I paid 50.00 for my complete setup from a '97 mustang including the electronic control module.

RICH MUISE

Mark... Thanks for posting the pics...we finally get to see what the setup looks like after talking about it for so long. I'm confused as usual though...I'm trying to figure out the pic of the wiper motor and defrost plenum. It looks like you have the plenum attached to the cowl in the picture..is that how '58's are setup? My '57 has the plenum attached to the dashboard. Thanks Rich

RICH MUISE

Zap...almost forgot a biggie..and the whole reason I went specifically with a '97 Mustang wiper motor...
I'm almost useless when it comes to electrical stuff, but the motor you select needs to be compatible with what you want to use as a switch, otherwise you could get into some major electrical problems. Bill could give you better input on that. My setup for example started by wanting to use all the factory controls built into the '97 Mustang steering column I was using, including the wiper intermitent switch(arm). The only way I could do that(or at least the easiest way) I was told was to have a wiper motor compatible with the swich and control box. It was easier for me to adapt the Mustang wiper motor than to find an electrical guru that could try and wire my switch to the 'easier to install '58 wiper motor. Kinda a reverse order of things, but you get the point of considering the electrical switching end of the swap.
btw..I sent a pm to Jim Nolan asking him if the stock wiper motor on his '63 is a back and forth setup.
Rich

Frankenstein57

Rich,the 58 defrost duct is rather fragile. I was having trouble getting it over the electric motor without breaking it, so it wouldn't be any easier with the dash in the way. I installed the heater, then left the duct loosely attached to the heater. Then the dash just dropped on top of the duct studs. Zap, curious why you moved on to a 60's vintage electric motor? I know you take pride in reusing salvage parts, but at some point your time has to be worth something too. As an ex racer,I also get a kick out of making older parts work on our upgrades and mods. I think the hot rod industry has really exploded with kit cars, chassis replacements, not to many home builders left. On my 57 I spent a whole weekend installing a GM van column, I don't like it. I'm going to replace it with an aftermarket piece. :deadhorse: :  Mark

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2011-04-24 06:03
That's a nice clean set-up. Zap..just make sure that 'early 60's electric motor goes back and forth, not roundy-round. When both connecting links  are connected to the wiper motor arm, a roundy-round won't work. Does anyone know at what point Ford stopped using the back and forth motor?
  Rich
RICH,ford used the back and forth motor on the 60 edsel,ford full size 60-early 62[6-15-62]merc61-early 62.i used this motor on a other early ford project,and the cable switch from the vacuum motor bolted right on.59 may be the same but i have not looked at one