News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

windshield wiper motor install?????

Started by Zapato, 2011-04-05 20:22

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2011-04-24 06:03
That's a nice clean set-up. Zap..just make sure that 'early 60's electric motor goes back and forth, not roundy-round. When both connecting links  are connected to the wiper motor arm, a roundy-round won't work. Does anyone know at what point Ford stopped using the back and forth motor?
  Rich
I hate quoting myself when I'm wrong but I was. Jim Nolan just confirmed that his '63 has a continuous rotation motor, but he also said both wipers were driven by one long linking rod. I wasn't thinking in terms of connecting one rod to the motor arm with a pivot joint in the middle and driving both wipers from one rod. I was further thinking you could also attach two seperate connecting links with ball joint pivots at the ends to the arm of a roundy-round motor, you just need to attach them both to the same end of the short arm, not oposite ends like the photo of the '58 setup shows.
Gary...great info as always..we need to archive that for future reference
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Rich,
  I told you wrong. I have two arms (one about 20" long and one about 10" long, don't quote me on length) that feed off the small two inch arm attached to the wiper motor itself. The amount of sweep on the wiper blade is controlled by the length of the small arm attached to the continuous wiper motor. The reason they made two or three different small wiper motor arm lengths is because the same motor was put on different cars with different windshields.
 It dawned on me that this same motor and drive system could very easily be adapted to a 57 using the same hole as the original location. You just have to have two arms that go from the small 2" wiper motor arm to the wiper assembly, and then adjust you sweep by the length of the small wiper motor arm.
 I told Rich the first time that it just had one arm that attached to both wiper assemblies with a piviot for the small 2" wiper motor arm. I was wrong.
 The continuous rotation of the small 2" wiper motor arm results in the @ 50 degree sweep of the wiper arm assembley. Jim
 I'm confused now and I just got through putting a new wiper motor on the 63 and adjusting the stop position. Jim
The part about using a continuous wiper motor on a 57 is leaning toward stupidity, think about it. 04/25/2011 Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JimNolan

Guys,
   I need to add that both wiper blades with a 63 setup would travel in the same direction.
   Since I drive in the rain quite a bit I really like the wiper blade movement of the original setup. So far my system has only failed me once and that's because I didn't have the cable tension set right. So far I've put about 2000 miles on the car this year just driving it within 50 miles of home. Jim

cool57

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2011-04-24 06:23
Are we talking about the same thing here..here is what I found for Pacific western design's '57 chev kit. I have no idea what the original '57 chev setup was, but it looks to me like this kit is desined to come back thru the firewall with all of the linkage on the interior side of the firewall (on the '57 fords right where the defrost duct plenum is.) I don't see how or why you would want to adapt this to a '57 ford, especally modiying it so the motor ends up in the original location on the engine side of the firewall. If you're willing to that much work, why pay $500... just by a salvage yard late model setup and adapt it.I think I paid 50.00 for my complete setup from a '97 mustang including the electronic control module.

I didn't realize the motor for the Chev application mounted the way it does in the pic you posted. I wrongly assumed the motor mounted on the engine side of the firewall.

Zapato

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2011-04-24 07:48
Zap, curious why you moved on to a 60's vintage electric motor?

I'll be using a 59-61 motor because that is what the guys that have already done this swap tell me works. If someone has a Hollander interchange manual I'd be curious to know all sources for those.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JimNolan

Zapato,
Electric Wiper Motors
No. 362 - 59 Ford and Edsel Pass. only
No. 209 - 60 Edsel, 60-62 Ford Pass., 61-62 Mercury / 1 sp. C0AF17508E 60-early 61, 2 sp. C2AZ17508B late 61-62
No. 383 - single sp. 62 Ford Pass., 62 Fairlane, 62 Meteor, 62 Mercury
No. 415 - single sp. 63-64 Ford Pass and Mercury
No. 416 - 2 sp. 63-64 Ford Pass. and Mercury
1954-66 Hollander Interchange
Jim

RICH MUISE

looking at the hollander list puzzles me (lol...I'm tired of being confused...so this time I'll be puzzled) How can the 62 and 63 wiper motors interchange with the 59-61 if the 62 up are continuous and the 59-61 are back and forth?   Rich

JimNolan

Rich,
  My Hollender book shows about 5 different motors from 59-64. The 59 motor won't fit a 60 car. A 61-62 motor won't fit a 63-64 car. I think what Zapato was saying is that people use those motors to adapt to a 57. Along with that adaption you'd have to use arms and linkage for whatever type drive it was, back and forth or continuous. I don't think he meant you could just hang the motor on a 57 and be done with it. I hope he didn't mean that.
  Come to think about it, how could you hang a continuous motor on a 57. The arm's are evenly spaced on the 57 and the continuous motors are made for cars that the wiper blades go the same direction and the location of the passenger wiper is at the center of the car. I hadn't gave that thought. Jim

RICH MUISE

I thought what Zap was asking was if there were any other motors other than the ones he mentioned that would interchange with the '58 linkage setup and '58 motor location he is planning on using.
Since we're discussing it, the attached photo is of the linkage I made to adapt a continuous motor to the '57's need for one clockwise and one counterclockwise movement. The linkage wasn't laid out too well when I took the photo...The #2 arm is just laying under the "direction changer pivot bar #5, it is not attached to it.
#8 &#9 are the stock '57 wiper shafts with all of the pulleys and excess casting removed. The shafts are press fit into #3 and #10, and eventually welded after the setup was checked out.
The #2 arm attaches to the motor at location#1, and to the #3 wiper shaft/bar. I could not directly connect the #4 arm to the other wiper because as we mentioned, one wiper would be up when the other was down. what I did to remedy this was to create another pivot bar, #5, which pivots in the middle,attaching the #4 arm on one end and the #7 passenger arm on the other end. Now the continuous motor works with both wipers down at the same time.
That additional pivot bar is attached to a piece of tubing (#6) welded to the cowl just under the air intake grille.The arms and some swivel hardware are '97 Mustang. The two arms that are connecting to the direction changer pivot bar are using carburetor throttle ball joint swivels with a 1/4-28 thread.The pivot bar has a bronze bushing and a 1/4" ground shoulder screw for the rotating mechanism.
oops...I lost the #10 on the pic... It is the bar on the end of the #7 arm. All arm lengths were modified by cutting the 1/4" i.d. u channel that the arms were manufactured from, and welding 1/4-28 nuts on the ends. This allowed me to use 1/4-28 allthread to make the arms any length I needed, and be adjustable.
I'd be surprised if anybody else in the world needed to do this but me..lol   Rich

JimNolan

Rich,
   I can see how it works now. Trying to visualize in my head how to make a continuous wiper motor work on a 57 has caused me to bust 2 blood vessels in my brain and I've forgotten everything I remembered before the age of seven. LOL Jim PS. That is a good job of design and it's no more elaborate than what came on a 57 to begin with.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: Zapato on 2011-04-25 19:11
I'll be using a 59-61 motor because that is what the guys that have already done this swap tell me works. If someone has a Hollander interchange manual I'd be curious to know all sources for those.

see my post on page 2.that is the list of back and forth motors

TexasFordGuy

I know this is well into this discussion but, has anyone tried any of the tube/cable kits you see for use in hot rods?

Like SPW as seen http://www.specialtypowerwindows.com/products.php?c=2&t=13 and http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPECIALTY-POWER-WINDOWS-WIPER-DRIVE-KIT-HOT-ROD-RAT-ROD-/310114860739

or

Its a snap wiper kit http://www.hotrodhotline.com/pr/2010/010itsasnapfeb/

or

http://www.hotrodssuperstore.com/winwipkit.html

These systems are very similar to the ones made by Lucas/BMC and seen in MGs Morris, Triumphs etc.
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

JimNolan

guys,
   Just curious if anyone has bought one of the new two speed 12 volt electric wiper motor replacements for their 57. I don't mean a Delco Remy motor. If you did, were you happy with it and was you able to use the old control knob. I don't like the knob with the windshield wiper picture on it. Jim

Zapato

Jim, it wouldn't take much to rework the stock knob to fit a different switch. just get anyone with a lathe to whip up a threaded bushing that matches your stocker, drill it out and epoxy it in.  ----OR-----    find one of those thread repair kits believe permatex makes them, drill your knob,fill it with the ix from the kit,coat the threads with the supplied release agent, screw it in,let it set-up and you're free of that dorky knob with the wiper pattern.

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JimNolan

Zapato,
    My Delco Remy motor has one fault to it that I don't like. When it's running the lower part of the windshield doesn't get swept. When you turn it off it goes to the bottom of th windshield for the park position though. I'd like it to sweep the whole windshield.
   I joined Tri-five.com just to see if my windshield wiper motor had an adjustable sweep and adjustable park position. It doesn't. It's operating like it suppose to. I just wondered if the new replacement that they have for our cars would be better than a delco remy. Jim