News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Still over heating

Started by 57 Ford Kustom, 2013-05-21 19:01

Previous topic - Next topic

57 Ford Kustom

Guys, I still have a over heat issue with my 351w. I have installed a high flow water pump, a 2" aluminum radiator, and it still over heats. It is fine while driving, but will over heat at idle. I am thinking of buying a spacer to push the fan within 1" of the radiator, right now it is 3.5" back. I also might try a 7 blade fan instead of the 6 blade. Any suggestions?  Tim
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

57AGIN

57 Ford Custom:

While they do not look stock, a fan shroud really makes quite a difference.  Another option would be to install an electric fan inside the engine compartment on the back of the radiator.  Since you have a 351W the "stock" look is already compromised.  These type of solutions really enhance the cooling capacity of your radiator.

Bob
57 AGIN

rmk57

My big block has about 1 inch or less clearance and it never gets above 185. It has a 26x19 universal rad f series 19 inch fan and no shroud. Easiest thing would be to get the spacer and try that out first.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57 Ford Kustom

Thanks for your input! Bob, I realize that yours isn't a "standard" 351w, what are you doing to cool your 57'? I am getting a spacer from summit.   Thanks, Tim

sprink88

How is your timing. That can also affect your temp?
~Chris

hiball3985

What kind of a fan are you using? I went through this when we built a later model 302 for his 66 Mustang. He went through 3 so called "High Performance" fans and had heating problems at idle in traffic. They may be great for more ponies but are crap for cooling. I finally convinced him to put the stock fan back on and it's never heated up since.

And like Sprink said, timing can do it too.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BWhitmore

Several years ago I had a 32 Roadster with a 354 Hemi that overheated when idling.  I was able to cure the problem with an electric fan with a shroud and using "Wetter Water" (I think that was the name of the product).  The fan dropped the temp 20 degrees and the wetter water another 15 degrees.  I wired the fan with a temp sensor and a toggle switch in order to have the ability to turn off the fan at will. 

57 Ford Kustom

Timing is spot on. The fan is some generic plastic crap that I found in my Dad's garage while cleaning it out. May this is why my Dad had it thrown in the corner! Lol! I think I will visit a few junk yards this week end. I would like to find a 7 blade. Thanks agian for all the feed back, you guys are a lot of help! Tim

lowrider

As mentioned before, a fan shroud will do more to cool it down than anything.

57 Ford Kustom

Low rider, when I visit the junk yard on Saturday I plan on securing one of those also! Thanks for the comments!  Tim

Zapato

7 blade fans are common on chrysler products and jeep cherokees, little or no mods needed.

zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57 Ford Kustom

Thanks for the info Zap, I know where to steer toward now! I was going to look for early 70's fords, if i could find any. Thanks,  Tim

Frankenstein57

I put a shroud on my 292 with AC, last summer was hot as hell, never went over 180.  Mark

sprink88

what shroud did you find works Fankenstein?
~Chris

FORDNUT

I'm going to catch some flack on this because I have in the past. I have cured heating problems in the past on small blocks in my cars by going back to a stock water pump. Everything being equal, my guess was that the water was going through the radiator faster than it could cool. I have a friend who did the same with a 427 FE motor with the same results. I would like to think FORD engineering knew what they were doing. I do not know when we started chunking high flows on everything we built, but just maybe it ain't right. Go ahead and shoot.
At my age I am not required to act mature.