News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Still over heating

Started by 57 Ford Kustom, 2013-05-21 19:01

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

I'll take a small shot  :003:. In theory that would seem possible, I have seen it on motors with no thermostat, for some reason people think if the remove it they are helping the situation which isn't the case. If you have the proper thermostat that is working properly I can't see it pumping enough through the bypass to cause that. I agree with you in the sense of most street engines don't need these high flow pumps to begin with.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jeff Norwell

I believe moving the fan within a 1 inch space will really help the situation..... good luck!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

57 Ford Kustom

The only reason that I switched to a high flow and a aluminum radiator is because I had the over heat problem with the stock 57' radiator and a stock water pump. Thrust me if it was working I wouldn't have thrown money in that direction. I ordered a 4" spacer from summit, should be in friday, and Saturday I hope to secure a fan shroud from my local salvage yard. Tim
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Frankenstein57

Sprink, not sure which shroud I went with. My brother scraps lots of cars, I had about six shrouds and chose the one that fit the best. If you have access to a explorer, measure it. I seem to remember the radiator shape to be more vertical, like our 57's. Mark

Tom S

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2013-05-23 18:11I believe moving the fan within a 1 inch space will really help the situation..... good luck!
Yeah, his fan is definitely too far away from the radiator.  I see that as the real cause of the overheating, not the stock pump, the stock radiator, or lack of a shroud.

geraldchainsaw

hav'ta add my 2 cents,   when i first got my car it overheat4ed,  at least thats what the gage said,   it already had a electric fan on it,   spacing on the fan blade was around 1",  i think it had a shroud on it also,   when i went on our main cruise around here the gage would show closer to hot then in the center where it should be,    so,  in trying to get the heat down,  i started eleminating diff things,   i got rid of the fan, shroud,   and it still looked like it was overheating,  hav'ta add,  i can take off the rad cap with no problems,  has never boiled over during what i thought was a problem,    so some day what i'm going to do is take the gage out and adjust the arm,  i've tried candy temp gages,  the works,    its mostly in my head that it seems to be over heating,  at first it worried me,  not any more,      i havn't posted in a while,  so i thought i would add my 2 cents,   jerry          PS,  forgot to add,  i sold my 51 ford to a guy from Kentucky

Jeff Norwell

I had an issue similar in a early hotrod... drove me nuts.....after chasing every possibility thru the cooling system..it was a faulty gauge.

57 Ford Kustom

Well Jerry it isn't my imagination, although the steam could very well be coming out of my ears with frustration! I just installed the 4" fan spacer from summit, now I only have 1" between my radiator and fan. Guess what still over heats! I ran it up the road, returned and let it idle for about 5 minutes, the whole time watching the temperature gauge climbing. I waited until I could see some steam coming from the hood, then shut her down. I guess the next step is a shroud, after that I don't know what I'll do. Tim

Jeff Norwell

Tim... do think its possible to have a internal blockage inside your coolant system.....air or otherwise?

Frankenstein57

Tim, sounds like you have had some problems with this motor build. A simple test is to warm this engine up with the cap off the radiator, rev it up a little, watch for air bubbles in the coolant flow, if you are getting alot of bubbles you probably have a leak or a head gasket issue. Mark

RICH MUISE

What Mark said. I doesn't sound like a shroud is going to solve your problem. Also watch the coolant flow thru the radiator. Somewhere in the back of my memory I remember reading a post about someone who had gotten a water pump for a different 351(?) and the pump was actually turning  backwards from what it was suppose to be. That may not be the exact scenario, but it was something along that line....it could have been a wrong belt system that was running the pump backwards...but you get the idea...check to coolant flow.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

sprink88

Are you still using our 57 radiator? When I got mine, i had overheating issues when I slowed down to stop. Only moving I stayed normal. I could not figure it out at all. I believe my radiator was the problem. I had boiled over trying to get in the last all Ford picknick at the Twin Cities Ford assembly plant. After that I managed to squeeze a fullsize bronco aluminum one in and had not heat issues at all
~Chris

hiball3985

As suggested I would run it without the cap on and see what the flow looks like. Did you test the thermostat? Is it possibly bad or installed backwards? I'm sure if you installed a new rad and pump you did the hoses also, old hoses can collapse and cut off flow.. The endless list of things that can cause overheating  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

Is this a new engine? Did it ever cool properly at idle? A 351 should not be a problem to cool even with a stock rad. Thermostat could be stuck closed.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57 Ford Kustom

Guys, I took the cap off to check for air at idle speed, none. I kept my hand on the upper radiator hose, actually could feel when it opened. Prior to that the line from the manifold to the heater sass delivering warm water, and the return line from the heater to the water pump was warm. Everything worked as it should, but the temp climbed. Went to the junk yard, found a jeep chereoke shroud that will fit nicely! I had to paint it Ford blue Lol! It is pouring rain, I'll put it in this evening, I'll take some pics, maybe someone will see something obviOus. Thanks agian for all the input! Tim