News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering box adjustment

Started by clubcoupe57, 2022-04-30 18:27

Previous topic - Next topic

clubcoupe57

Hi Guys I was wondering if there is someone I could talk to about adjusting my stock steering box on my 57 Fairlane. Message me and I'll give you a call or I can give you my cell # Thanks

thomasso

You can take some of the play out by adjusting the pitman shaft screw on top, the one with the lock nut.  Follow your shop manual and make sure gear is centered dont over do or you'll ruin the gears.  The worm gear, steering shaft end play is adjusted by shims at the end of the gear. that can only be done properly with the gear removed.  So many of these gears have been ruined by overzealous backyarders over the years not understanding proper procedures.  If you don't have a shop manual get one.  Also be sure your alignmemt guy has the steering centered at straight ahead, I've seen lazy techs. simply reposition the steering wheel to make it centered rather than adjusting tie rods
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.