Anyone installed a 57-59 or 60-64 Ford steering gear into a 54-56 frame?

Started by brushwolf, 2022-07-01 13:48

Previous topic - Next topic

brushwolf

Looks like the mounting bolts to frame are about 3/4" further apart on all those after 1956, but the gear profile otherwise seems very similar - except for engine side of it having a lot more clearance for manifolds than the earlier versions.

Contemplating fixing several of the issues with my 55 Crown with 351C and C6. First is a really worn sloppy steering box, next is the lack of 3 needed gear positions for the C6 on the 55 column. Then there is the lack of sufficient clearance between the 55 steering gear and the exhaust manifold. And finally, I would like the steering column just a bit lower cuz of the huge stock (although pristine) steering wheel.

I have a 63 Galaxie CM column with 3 gear positions and two 61 Galaxie steering gears (one power, one manual). So, I am contemplating the probably contentious relocation of 2 of the 3 gear mounting holes thru the frame, weld sleeves inside the frame on both sides for the new bolt holes and then weld up the two original holes so I could use the 61 gear and 63 column. Yes, I am quite confident in my welding capabilities.

Any other ideas on how to address all four of these issues? If it was just the sloppy steering I would just have the stock gear rebuilt, but that would not resolve the other three issues...

Thanks

51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird