News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hella Halogen Headlights

Started by rovohn, 2019-02-05 19:43

Previous topic - Next topic

rovohn

Anyone done the conversion?and will the stock switch handle the amp increase or should I install relays?
Cheers,John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

RICH MUISE

The guys on the Hamb forum say the lights will be brighter with the relay kit. Better safe than sorry with old wiring. I don't know what Hellas are exactly, I use the lower output halogens sold at Walmarts for 8.88 (with no relay). All my wiring and Ron Francis headlight switch are new, and with the lower output bulbs you shouldn't need a relay. Before my rebuild, I ran them with the old wiring stuff no problem. The standard halogens are available in 3 output ranges, Walmart sells the lower one, O'reillys sells the upper 2. I also didn't want to be the guy that everybody was flashing their high beams at, but imho, they are plenty bright.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Marc

LED headlights are another option. I haven't installed them on my car but from what I've read they are just as bright and no relays required. They can get pricey though.

gasman826

Installed a pair of XENONS.  Lower amp draw, glass, replaceable H4 bulb, direct bolt in, and DOT.  No relays at this time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132651582211

The only downside is the price and no alignment nubs.

RICH MUISE

LEDs? Aren't H4s  halogen? Did you post the correct link? Glad to see you post, Gary. I was worried you had frozen up there.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

You should use a relay for the halogen lamps.  Especially with OEM/Repop head light switches.

An old street rod buddy called me and complained his head light switch (Ron Francis) was so hot it burned his fingers when he turned the lights off.  The switches will carry the current for a few years but as the switch ages the contacts will develop a little corrosion which will exasperate the problem and cause more corrosion which in turn....you get the picture.

He did not want to install a relay kit so I replaced the switch and the head lights with over the counter bulbs and all is well.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II