News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

7.3 Godzilla

Started by rmk57, 2019-02-08 20:23

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Fords back in the game with a large bore pushrod V-8. Once the aftermarket gets involved and they become available in the second hand market these could really take off.
No need for that Ls swap when your junkyard 7.3 pumps out 600 hp with a few bolt-ons. :burnout:

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/fords-450hp-7-3l-godzilla-v8-inside-info-spy-pics-wheres-the-direct-injection.1170924/?fbclid=IwAR3_xw2LBqo0WdGyKdgH9CNPeqhHyZ2_KzK7lKE8AKEaqD4hoSCNSDFrn0o
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hiball3985

That is one awesome motor!!! I'll be the first to admit I'm new technology challenged but it says the headers are cast stainless, I didn't even know you could cast stainless.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

445 cubic inch pushrod V-8....holy crap! It makes me want to rethink my FE :o
Lynn

CobraJoe

Glad someone posted this up, been following it for a little while. I'm dying to know what the numbers are...Ford is keeping it close to their chest right now.
Don't know how true it is, but some are saying it's a waste spark ignition system that uses 16 plugs, the coils on top fire 8 plugs and they have wires off of each to fire the other 8 plugs on the side of the head. Its an identical setup to the current 6.2 V8 that's in the Raptor.
They have addressed a lot of the issues the 460's and such were having, like hitting a puddle and water splashing on the exhaust manifold and them cracking etc..
Watch the video , it actually shows some pretty cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FtNlfAbc2w

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

59meteor

Personally, I have never seen a "need" for a LS Chevy swap in any Ford vehicle, nor do I think that I would likely try to swap one of these new 7.3 Ford engines into a vintage Ford, but I would consider entertaining the thought of one of these engines in a new truck. I currently tow my 24 foot race car trailer with a F350 Dually with a 6.8 L V10 and 5 speed. I really like my V10, and for the 2500 or so miles I put on it a year, can not justify the cost of a diesel, but this new 7.3 gas V8 sure seems worthy of a closer look once they come out. Of course, the way new truck prices have gone in recent years, may keep the V10 in the driveway for quite some time. I always did think it was kinda odd that Ford elected to go with OHC engines in trucks, Chevy and MoPar have seemed to be pretty good staying with pushrod engines.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

I agree that I would not be interested in using one in my car at this point, but I do think crate engines are popular these days and in my opinion Ford doesn't have a "full line". I imagine this new pushrod engine could at some point fill some voids? Just thinking out loud. I do like the narrow architecture for a future hotrod use, assuming our hobby doesn't disappear.
Lynn