News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

rear brake drums

Started by wolfpupsdad, 2010-02-24 13:43

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfpupsdad

some of you have heard my story of wooooo over the rear drums for my 47 frd coupe with the 57 rear end under it.
trying to find new drums are like pulling teeth from a ole hen (chicken not my wife ). only 2 places seem to sell em carpenters and concourse and both want $150.00 a piece for em and won't tell ya who makes em. probably off shore or way down south. i've talked to wagner and bendix and they no longer make the  drum. so after spending some time in our 1 and only wrecking yard. i discovered something rather simple and the owner of the yard ( old guy in his 60's and a ford nut to boot ) laid this lil piece of info on me.
" any 9 inch ford rear end has only 2 size axel bearings for the most part , there is a third but ya won't find it every often i guess it's a lincoln rear end. any backing plat and drum set up from a small bearing will work on any small bearing axel assy. any large bearing to a large axel assy.  of course ya need to stay with the same axel bolt pattern.
don't go crazy with the size on the rear verus the size on the front if the car is going to run drums up front , brake balance problems. if your running disc's up front you'll have alil more leaway. i found a set up off a 1964 galaixe 11 X 2 1/2 complete for $30.00 with the parking brake cable , and yes i'm running disc up front. just thought i'd throw this out , because no one mentioned this to me doin my quest.