News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4:11 explorer disc brake posi on custom 300 four door

Started by Custom300Madman, 2012-02-01 11:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom300Madman

Since my rear end isnt posi nor disc brakes could I simply just grab the entire explorer rear end and run 460-c6-4:11? Would this be a realistic swap for me? Also would a 300mile trip one way on a Saturday kill my wallet with 4:11? Or would I be avble to cruise to Austin and drive around then hack to Houston no sweat?

-Keith
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

Custom300Madman

graybandit

460's are thirsty beast to begin with they get around 9 to 12 miles to the gallon at approx. 2000 RPM at 60 MPH with 3:25's.  With the 4:11's you'll be doing about 3000RPM.  Since you'll be doing 30 per cent more RPM you can figure about 30 per cent less on the mileage.  These are approximate numbers the actual numbers will depend on tire size and how fast you drive. 

Lgcustom

I have a 460/C6 running 3.70 gears and 27" tires. It takes 3200 rpm to make about 70mph. It will drive you nuts to run that far at that rpm! I'm thinking Gear Vendors overdrive soon.

Custom300Madman

Oh man! It will really be like owning and fueling up my first boat! All this time I've been riding motorcycles with the exception of fueling up the gf Mercedes, man looks like I'm in for some expensive weekends! Ouch!  :burnout:

57AGIN

Custom300Madman:

Realistically, the only way to better gas mileage is a combination of a light right foot on the gas pedal, a fairly modern fuel injected engine, rear end gearing arouund 3.35:1 or higher (numerically lower, like 3.00:1) and/or an overdrive via transmission or special gear box.  My 351W was generally good for somewhere between 5 and 12 mpg, obviously depending on how I was driving it.  This was both before and after adding the supercharger.  3.70:1 or 4.11:1 gearing, without an overdrive will generally result in relatively poor gas mileage.  I believe even the original 6 cyl engines were only good for about 15-20 mpg with this kind of gearing.  Of course when I was driving my last 6 cyl car, it was a 53 Chevy the car I learned to drive on, before I wised up and got into Fords.  Anyway, I was just a foolish teenager and each stoplight or stop sign was an invitation to a "match race" back in the day before exibitions of speed resulted in confiscating the car, really stiff fines and/or jail time. lol

Bob
57 AGIN

Frankenstein57

Keith, I think your post asked if an explorer rear end would work in a 57. I think some old posts said the pumpkin or "chunk" was offset to the side quite a bit. Making the driveshaft tunnel a problem.  Mark

Ford Blue blood

and the Exlorer rear end is 59.5" wide wheel flange to wheel flange and the 57 is 57.25" wide.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Custom300Madman

Frankenstein I went ahead and applauded you there. I sure would have liked to have heard that I could swap an explorer rear simply. I'll keep this thread open until I have purchased a rear and have conversion print outs in hand.

gasman826

Quote from: Custom300Madman on 2012-02-01 23:25
Frankenstein I went ahead and applauded you there. I sure would have liked to have heard that I could swap an explorer rear simply. I'll keep this thread open until I have purchased a rear and have conversion print outs in hand.
Steal the brakes off the 8.8 and put them on the 9"!!!  If you want to try a 4.11 Detroit Locker, I got one setting in the box.  Why get rid of the 9"?  It is narrower than the 8.8.  Do the fronts with Granada spindles.  Just sayin'. 

Custom300Madman

Thanks Gasman! It's just overwhelming trying to get this old family car moving and on the road. how much should I pay for a Craigslist explorer rear brake assembly?

gasman826

Quote from: Custom300Madman on 2012-02-07 21:17
Thanks Gasman! It's just overwhelming trying to get this old family car moving and on the road. how much should I pay for a Craigslist explorer rear brake assembly?
I bought mine from Ford as a SVO kit.  I knew someone and got a discount.  I think it was just under $400.00.  A lot of late '90s Explorers out there.  I would not put too much money in old, worn out, used stuff.  Good luck.

Just looked at the build sheets today.  The SVO kit was $330.00.