News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1970 Torino spindles

Started by rmk57, 2012-07-23 12:24

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

From what Iv'e read using these spindles will lower the front end 1.5-2.0 inches. Is that from having to ream to get the correct taper for the 57 ball joint? Or are the spindle dimensions just different from the 57's. I don't want to lower the front end at all, my headers are low all ready. Also has anyone used the scarebird stuff? It seems by the time you buy the used spindles and all new rotors, calipers, pads,bearings, etc your getting close in price to one of their conversion kits.  Thanks,Randy.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hogwagon

Just ordered and received Drop and Stop stuff for the front with a power master that will work with disc rear. test setup as i need to replace ball joints, etc. All fits great and very complete. I have done the J/Y deal before and hunted cleaned repaired prayed hoped.
Well worth the money if you are not sure of all the above. Easy people to work with quick freight. Contact info is in vender stuff Rich set up on here.

Ford Blue blood

The taper is correct, just not large enough daimeter for the ball joint stud to sit deep enough to get full thread engagement and allow the cotter pin to go in.  No problem drilling a new hole in the stud if you're so inclined.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rmk57

I'm going out tomorrow to pull them off. The conversion kit uses chevy s-10 calipers which I wasn't to happy about.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Tom S

Quote from: rmk57 on 2012-07-23 22:23I'm going out tomorrow to pull them off. The conversion kit uses chevy s-10 calipers which I wasn't to happy about.
Ok, I'm confused.  You are going to pull what off of what?  Did you get the Scarebird kit & you are pulling that off?
Because of the Chevy calipers? 

rmk57

No, I still have the original drum brakes on. I'm undecided which route I want to go on disc brakes, the scarebird conversion or buy the used 1970 Torino spindles. Right now I'm leaning towards the Torino setup, as I usually do things the hard way. :003: Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Too many 'birds' in my memory, or in this case not in my memory. I thought a scarebird was the trans-am with the big bird decal on the hood??..I'm curious what your objection to the Granada set-up is.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rmk57

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2012-07-24 10:22
Too many 'birds' in my memory, or in this case not in my memory. I thought a scarebird was the trans-am with the big bird decal on the hood??..I'm curious what your objection to the Granada set-up is.
Rich

No objection to the Granada setup, just nobody's parting out one around here. Scarebird manufactures adapters that bolt on your original spindles allowing you use disc brakes. For 1957 Fords it's 68 Mustang rotors along with mid-90's s-10 calipers along with all the other hardware. Nice part about the scarebird conversion is you use your stock spindles. I think there in the Seattle area.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

shopratwoody

Quote from: rmk57 on 2012-07-23 12:24
From what Iv'e read using these spindles will lower the front end 1.5-2.0 inches. Is that from having to ream to get the correct taper for the 57 ball joint? Or are the spindle dimensions just different from the 57's. I don't want to lower the front end at all, my headers are low all ready. Also has anyone used the scarebird stuff? It seems by the time you buy the used spindles and all new rotors, calipers, pads,bearings, etc your getting close in price to one of their conversion kits.  Thanks,Randy.
he doesn't want to lower his car
I hate blocksanding!

rmk57

Yea, that's the other reason. The scarebird conversion is a pretty good deal at $375.00, not sure on the quality of the parts though. I'll be at least that with the Torino deal.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

So..Scarebird is a manufacturer..I couldn't figure out why you wanted pontiac brakes. I do not believe the Granada spindles  have to lower the car,that the drop is an option. If I understand their options correctly, you just have to tell him whether you want stock height or 2 1/2 drop. Posibly the "stock height Granada spindles lower the car somewhat..I really wasn't paying to much attention to that part of his description because  the 2 1/2 drop was what I was looking for. That said, what I don't understand about the Granada spindles is why it has to be "stock" height or 2 1/2" drop..it seems like if they just didn't ream it to the stock height diameter, just say halfway from the stock location diameter  and the 2 1/2 drop diameter, you would get a 1 1/4 drop. For some reason that doesn't seem to be an option.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

No, the Granada brakes will lower ther car 2.5 inches with no other modifications.  Witgh chopped or shorter coil springs, you can get about 4.5 or so inches of drop.  All of the `57's you see with a really cool low stance have Granada spindles.  It's the best way to lower one.  If you don't want it low, or if you don't want your headers to drag, don't use Granada spindles, period.  Full size Thunderbird, I'd say 77-79 or so, will be fine.  I have used those before.  I just gave my dad a nice set of `70 LTD discs for his Fairlane, and they also work great, no reaming, just bolt on and go, heavy though, which is why I didn't want to use them.  I will stay with my stock drums for a while, then I want to go the way Campy did and build a set of Wilwoods for the car.  Look in the project section of the photo gallery to see how he did it.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

rmk57

He wanted $200 for the spindles, I passed on them, the front end was buried up to the hubs in mud, backing plates bent up pretty good. Like he dragged the car to front of his house without any wheels. Something else will come up, it was going to be winter project anyway.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Tom S

Quote from: rmk57 on 2012-07-24 12:56The scarebird conversion is a pretty good deal at $375.00 ...
I see the the Scarebird brackets on ebay for $179 + $16 shipping.  Wondering where you are finding the $375 deal & what you get with it.  That does sound like a good price if you get the calipers, rotors, etc with it.  Was thinking a guy might be able to get off cheap with some good used calipers, but the condition of them might be in question & in the end you probably couldn't get by for another $180 over the cost of the brackets.
Granada spindles are about non-existent around here, & those 77-79 T-bird ones probably are too.On top of that I have read conflicting reports here about the Granada spindles geometry matching the 57s.

No, wait, maybe it was the Torino spindles that had the possible geometry issue.  Yeah, that's it.
I have a rusted out 72 Torino based Ranchero sitting right here.  It's pretty much junk, but if I pull the spindles, it might be a bit hard to move.         
Not sure I'd want to lower my Ranchero either.  I do like the look, but might be too low for my practical use or wheel clearance.

rmk57

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429