News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1970 Torino spindles

Started by rmk57, 2012-07-23 12:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom S

gasman826

DUH!  Use the '72 Ranchero spindles, rotors, and rebuild the calipers.  If you want to roll the '72 Ranchero around, do it on '57 spindles and drums.

Tom S

Quote from: gasman826 on 2012-07-25 17:57DUH!
Hey!  It?s not like I hadn't considered that.  But the '72 has to go away one of these days & I wouldn't really want to lose the stock '57-'58 spindles.  Doubt that anyone would even want this '72 for parts so it would end up scrapped.  There is also the "maybe, maybe not" geometry issues I've read about here with the '72 spindles. 
I think I'm more inclined to use the Scarebird option.

Frankenstein57

I think the $375 number included the new rotors and calipers, I've seen mustang rotors pop up on craigslist for 1/2 price of new. I have the torino spindles, I'm guessing I got about 1 1/2 inch drop. Scarebird makes his brackets for lots of cars, quality looks good,  Mark

gasman826

I understand about keeping the original parts.  I used to keep everything I removed from mine.  Then, it dawned on me that after the first cut there was no going home again.  You're luckier than most...you have parts that you can measure and test fit.  Then if you don't like them, you can just return them.  No harm, no foul...just time and you gained experience.

Tom S

Quote from: gasman826 on 2012-07-26 07:44...you have parts that you can measure and test fit.  Then if you don't like them, you can just return them.  No harm, no foul...just time and you gained experience.
I have way too many projects already that aren't getting done so spending time to do something & finding that I don't like it & starting over doesn't seem like a good idea.  Done that many times.  I only want to do it once.  I don't need the experience either, I'm 67, got around 50 years of it.  It's all work & takes time to do it right.

About keeping original parts:  My take is that even if I don't want them & will never use them again somebody is gonna want them.  It really bothers me to see old car parts that are no longer made just thrown away.  There are lots of guys that seem to want original parts for restoring cars.  They ain't makin' them '57 spindles anymore.
There is really about zero old cars in junkyards up here.  None!  Shipping from 'Outside' is very expensive.
That said I probably have enough old parts around here to build an old Ford street rod, & tons of other junk that I drug home & saved because 'somebody is gonna want this'
Where did these guys go? 
I keep thinking that I need to take some pix of some of this stuff & advertise it.  If I kick off somebody is gonna take all this stuff to the dump.  I've told a couple guys that if they see my obit to get out here & steal whatever they want!  :001:
I used to be pretty heavy into the street rods & knew people that did build their own stuff but I got back into motorcycles & kind of got away from it.  After going to one of the meetings the street rod club that I used to be in & seeing mostly a lot of old farts like me I ask a woman that's very active in the club where the younger guys that built their own cars were. Was there anyone still doing that?  She said everybody got old & just wanted to buy the cars already built.  I'm old & tired, I can understand that.
Sorry about getting pretty much off topic.

gasman826

Same thing here.  Part of the reason we're here.

rmk57

The swap was going great until the bottom ball joint won't fit through the Torino spindle. Oh well another $80 on a tapered reamer. And once it's reamed it looks like I'll have to use a spacer to go between the castle nut and spindle due to the Torino spindle being about 1/2 inch thinner than the original 57. Good news is it's only going to lower the about 1/2" inch. I ordered a reamer from XKUT, 7.15 degree and a 1.5" taper per foot.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429