News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wurth-it power steering

Started by Limey57, 2017-08-04 16:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

I have a Wurth-it conversion which uses (I think!) a GM rack.  I haven't got the pump hooked up yet, but having driven the Ranchero using the rack manually I quite like it and I'm worried that if it is power assisted I'll lose the feel while driving if it is OVER assisted.

Anyone got any comments on after market P/S set-ups?  Sure, they're a help when parking, but it's out on the road that I'm unsure about, do I go ahead and purchase a GM power pump or swap the rack for a manual (non-P/S) rack?
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Wirenut

I used the cavalier rack and tied it into a 86 Ford power steering pump, its has a good feel to it. It does not steer as easy as I thought it would but is by far better than the manual steering. Mine has a smaller steering wheel than the factory original, so that contributes to the feel also. I have a 2017 Buick Enclave and 2017 Ford F-150 and the fairlane steers with the same amount of effort as the Buick. Most Fords I have driven have a super easy and hardly any effort to turn the wheel. The Buick has a more restrictive feel and that's closer to what my combination feels like. Mine may be affected more by the power steering pump and the amount of pressure it puts out but I'm just guessing. I like the power steering in tight turns and would not change anything since it's not too easy but not like a manual system. Good luck in your decision, I'm sure others can contribute with what theirs feels like.

RICH MUISE

Mine is a setup very similar to wurthit's...JT Fabrications (member here) and uses the same Cavalier (power) rack that Wurthit used..Mine is powered by the Ford Pump that was oem on my 4.6. I agree 100%with everything Kerby/Wirenut said. Definetly not over sensitive, no road issues, not as easy as I was expecting but a definite improvement  over stock manual. Power or not, Gary, you're already dealing with the only downside to the power system imho......the loss of some turning radius (lol, when you think about it it's not really a loss of radius, but a gain.).
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Capt997

From the information I quickly googled, the Gm power steering pump puts out 850psi and 16gpm vs the Ford pump which puts out 650psi and 9gpm.  Perhaps the lack of pressure and volume when using the Ford Pump and Gm rack, is why the steering effort is more than expected.   Borgenson makes a pressure reduction kit to lower the pressure when using a Gm pump & Ford Rack.

Limey57

Hmmmm, thanks for the info.  A UK hotrod supplier recommended a GM pump as they are supposed to be lower pressure, I was told a Ford pump would be too high pressure.

I have a new Ford pump, pictured below which I thought would be too high pressure, I don't know exactly what it's off but seems to be like those used in 1990's Mustangs:

Should I go ahead & use this one?  It'd make life a lot cheaper if I could!  Okay, I've got to fabricate adjustable brackets & try and sort a vee-belt pulley, but the pump is new & unused........
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Wirenut

I like that combination, if you are looking for medium effort it should work great. If your looking for super easy to turn you should go with the GM pump. Good to know the psi output Capt. 997, thanks

gasman826

That looks like the pump I'm using now.  When I put the Windsor in, I researched and used the pump that came on the engine from a '96 F150.  I called the tech support engineers at the pump re-manufacturer Cardone.  They looked up the pressure and flow for the '96 pump and the '64 Galaxie power steering valve I used on the '57.  The pressure and flow were similar.  I think the typical pressure/flow specs are lower for Ford and higher for GM.   The '57 factory service manual calls for the PS pump pressure relief to be set at 700 lbs. and the '64 at 1000 lbs.  The Raunch Wagon steers very easy for parking or highway speeds.  The down side of the valve and slave cylinder PS is the lack of road feel.  Mine is no different with the lack of road feel.  I'm happy to give up the road feel for the easy of steering.  The Custom with the R&P steers easy and maintains the road feel.

Limey57

Excellent, thanks for the info.
Gary

1957 Ranchero