News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Not 57 Ford but an interesting story

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-08-14 21:46

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Wow....6 years down the road.
Yes Thomas, I'm still here. I'm the one that approved your membership. I had totally forgot the thread you found, and when I saw your name on the application, I thought maybe you had moved onto '57 Fords. Apparently not, but that's ok in this situation.....Welcome to the forum, and a big thank you to all your years of service to the San Diego community.
Slept on this last night, trying to figure the best way to handle it, with my recently added  "moderator" duties. First, let me explain because I know you're not going to be familiar with our forum.........Like the Hamb, this '57 Ford forum is dedicated to a specific area of our hobby. We do get off on tangents here to keep interest in our forum going because It's very difficult to have a site dedicated to one year of one make and still keep the forum active. With that in mind, we sorta walk a fine line between being relevant to '57 Fords and keeping the guys coming back to see if any questions came up that need input. So, we get off on tangents, but try to keep them within reason and of interest to other '57 Ford owners. One of the ways we do that is to try to make sure new members have an interest in '57 Fords.....a reason to be here. Hope that makes sense.
Even though your reasons for being here are not '57 Ford related, I obviously opened the door with my posts from '13, and feel it would be totally unfair to not allow you to respond. Equal "air time" if you will. To answer your question...yes, there's still interest, but I'm walking a fine line here between me the member and me the moderator.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Welcome and thank you for your service to the people of San Diego.
Just my opinion but even if not 57 related a human interest story is good for everyone, who wouldn't like it.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thank you Rich. and hiball3985,  In honesty,  my "Beulah" *had* a 57 "Thunderchicken" 312 engine for many years -- she's had 4 engines, 3 transmissions, and 2 differentials in 900,000+ miles since 68-69  just got called to dinner by my "witch"  as "the terminator" said -- "I'll be BACK"   :006: 

SanDiegoHighwayman

so yes, I'm kinda "57" related  :003: in *that* respect, with that engine & all, but my vehicles [ 12 total ] have been 55 & 56 Fords & Mercurys mostly wagons, but a few sedans for necessary parts *for* the wagons in buildin em.  I fell asleep in my chair after dinner, sorry -- see ya tomorro if ya don't mind, and thankee agin fer yer interest -- in the meantime, here's some background -- http://snowchains.tripod.com/sandiegohighwaymansweblogonlinediary/ 

https://www.facebook.com/sandiegohighwayman 

It's been a "long and winding road" for 50 years --

gnite fer now Rich

:burnout:

SanDiegoHighwayman

where to start? Well, it's been an incredible journey through life that began, for me, tho I didn't realize it at that moment, I being a young male teenager and full of myself and "immortal" if you will.  That winter's night, in 1964, in a howling - blinding blizzard, on a lonely Illinois highway, *being* a horny male teenager, out corousin w a female [ older then me ] teen who lived down by the river, bout 30 miles away.

I'm headed home, late nite -early mornin visibility near zero, when I skidded INto a snowbank on a curve and nearly buried my car [ ex town police car, 58 Chevy, black & white ]  all that was visible of it was the black back end stickin out of the snowbank beside the road. Nearly frozen, I was there for quite some time, hours, before anuther vehicle came along [ a pickup truck ] and the fella stopped, pulled me out w a chain.  I thanked him and tried to pay him, he refused payment, and said that I could pay him back by helpin someone in difficulties *I* might encounter.

Now remember, I was young and ignorant, and "immortal" at that age, and didn't fully understand that *he* just *might* have SAVED my LIFE!

It took 2 more years before I matured enuf to *realize*  that fact [ 1966 ] and then began my "mission" in California, that *became* my life, as I've lived it.  [ I have handwrittin records of rescues made starting from that time -- [ lost em fer years, then found em agin tattered & crumblin and sealed em in plastic to preserve em ] the stack is about a foot high of thank you cards & letters received --  photographs-- commendations, & incident reports -- memories now.

[ story to continue if allowed?  ]

SanDiegoHighwayman

what I'm leadin UP to here is that it's been an incredible 50 year journey for me, wherein, MANY times, I've had my motives questioned, out of suspicion or fear. Have had some folks, women AND men, refuse my assistance from that - have had LEOs TICKET ME or threaten to on occasion - MOST of em I've made BELIEVERS and supporters, over time, of my "mission's truth" of helpin others, with no thought of compensation other then the lift to my spirits. and theirs, of DOIN it --  but, there's been a few :( :( that COST me dearly. Financially and emotionally.    Have stories of both, but SO MANY MORE of the positive ones, then the negative --  after my experience w the "few" on the HAMB that chose to disbelieve, denigrate, insinuate, -- and when those few, said the things they said, I got MAD and replied ANGRILY.  My bad. If still ok Rich, I've got some things to square away --

The fella from Kansas City, Marc Jungerman, wasn't a HAMB member until I introduced him to it AFTER he'd viewed the CBS Steve Hartman story about me  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sowing-the-seeds-of-kindness-on-san-diegos-highways/    and noticed me struggling to loosen TIGHT lug nuts on a vehicle I was assisting in the story.  He first, purchased and SENT, me the beautiful SnapOn battery powered 1/2 impact I'd always coveted but had not purchased for myself due to the fact that it cost MORE then a coupla month's expenses for fuel for me to BE out On the Road -- helpin others.  THEN, he searched Craigslist, FOUND a 56 ford 4dr sedan for sale, sittin in a field in Texas -- BOUGHT IT FOR ME! and arranged for it to BE shipped by a father & son team FROM Texas TO me in El Cajon!!   *HE* did all that himself, NObody else involved! This was beFORE he was a HAMB member and *He* deserves FULL credit.  A wonderfully kind and generous man!   

EVERY single person who donated, I personally thanked via cards, letters, e-mails and *some* phone calls as well.

And ONE individual who insinuated I was misusing moneys donated, I asked him "Did YOU donate? because if you did and you are unhappy with how it's being used I will immeadeatly REfund your money!  --  He admitted that he hadn't -- more on tha later --

My "signature line" is, and always HAS been "It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life, that one cannot sincerely help another, without helping one's self in the bargain."  { I have lived with depression, all my life, and rather then seein a doctor, or takin drugs, I've found that goin out to "Play on the Freeway" and helpin at least ONE stranded soul, [ my record is 12 assists in a day ] and I come home to "the Goose"  [ Goose Creek Ranch ] w my spirits LIFTED :)  *My* "compensation"  ;) :)

Here's a long convoluted story bout that   

Saturday, 13 April 2013

On the 8, a long LONG time ago --

Hello, Mr. Weller,

Cleaning out a drawer this past week, I came across the card you gave me when you rescued me on the 8 freeway about 27 years ago.  So I was curious, and Googled your name, only to have the article written on the Huffington Post come up.  That was one sweet write-up, and it warmed my heart to know you were still rescuing folks along the way.  I found your website, and thought I?d relay my story.

I was in a little Ford Courier truck in the fast line on the 8, right around Fletcher Parkway when it died.  It was a Friday night, lots of traffic, cell phones were non-existent, and I was in a panic.  How do I get out of my car and get to the other side of the freeway, let alone get help?  I could feel tears welling up in my eyes, while drivers swerved to get around me, no doubt cursing me for holding them up.  Then I see a beautiful, older car pull ahead of me in the lane, and, instead of moving on, started backing up!  Could this be a miracle?  YES!  You were my miracle!  You came to my window, and softly asked ?what seems to be the trouble??  Heck if I knew, but I tried to start the truck again, to no avail.  You calmly told me you were going to get a rope and tie it to my bumper to tow me to safety.  Once you were done, you came to my window again and said, ?whatever you do, don?t run over the rope.?  I can?t even remember where we towed it to ? someplace off Grossmont Center Drive, I believe.  I thanked you profusely, and said I?d walk to a pay phone to call my husband.  You, instead, drove me all the way to Parkway Plaza so I could meet him there.  I can?t even remember how I got a hold of him, but we were both grateful beyond measure for your help.

Since then, I?ve always remembered you and that evening when I see someone in distress, and more than once, I?ve helped someone out.  Paying it back and paying it forward always feels great, and I do it with love in my heart and gratitude for my highway ?angel? so many years ago.

And now, I?m off to write a check to you as a small token of my esteem for not only helping me, but helping out all those other stranded motorists over the years.  Thank you, Tom!

howdy M'lady

thought ya might enjoy seein this  :)  [ onea my blog posts recently ]

04/23/13

tday was a test - it was only a TEST - actually, it was QUITE a test!

of my patience, perseverence, and attitude ---
on the PLUS side I didn't take the Lord's name in vain -- on the minus side I think I invented some NEW swear words

young fella -- SB SR 163 JNO the Balboa Bridge -- on the RS w a RF blown & shredded on a littll rice rocket Honda

NO spare, but he's GOT one at home -- says he -- so, I take him home off the SB I-5 @ Imperial round 20th St & up to the Golden Hill area I think -- he gits a spare offa a Nissan quest there -- 5 bolt - I ask him if his car is a 4 or a 5 -- he says 5 -- we git back to it and it's a 4  so -- I tell him I'll be back in about 45 min w a spare fer him

he's disbelivein that I'm gonna come back -- he's disbelievin that I'm helpin him at all -- he's askin me several times "how much is this gonna cost me? -- he's disbelievin me -- he asks me who pays me? he's disbelievin that *I* haveta PAY to DO this!! He asks me "are you RICH?"

I tell him "only in Karma"

I come back w 3 different "mickey mouse" donut spares -- NONE of em fit the pattern -- too small  [ gonna be lookin fer some w a larger 4 bolt pattern next weekend @ the swap meet ]

he's got 17 inch aftermarket wheels w the type of lugnuts that take a "key" socket to install-remove -- he don't HAVE the "key" I try takin em off w a socket and they jam in the socket -- one by one -- haveta hammer em out w a punch I JIST added to my impact tool kit a week ago due to similer circumstances w anuther incident --

MUCH more to come -- I jist got in & I'm HOT, tired, & worn out -- so I'm agonna hit the shower & rest awhile afore I come back to finish this --

----------------------------------------------------------------------
well, I'm baaaack -- after a nice HOT shower and a juicy steak w buttered broccoli florets cooked fer me by my wonderfull "witch" -- that's w a W -- NOT a B

watched some bad news on the telly and came back to finish tellin my story here --

------------------------------------------------------------------------
So we got all four lock lugs off -- one at a frustureatin time took a LOT of time hammerin then damn things outta the socket w the punch so's to git the next one -- we take off the wheel and we go to a tire shop on Imperial where we pull in and onea the fellas immeadeatly comes over to me to say thanks fer the popsicles I usta give him on Fridays back when he was jist a kid walkin home from school  [ anuther story ]

The kid looks at me in astonishment and says "They KNOW you in the barrio?"   :003:

they HAVE a tire, good used [ nearly new ] for $50 one fella mounts it up and balances it as well  we pull out and are nearly back to the freeway afore I remember them damn lock lugs -- don't wanta dick around w THEM agin so I stop at an Autozone that jist happened to be handy and aqquired 4 ordaniry lug nuts to fit --

we head back NB I-5 to NB SR 163 and the traffic's backed up fer the afternoon rush beginnin so I haveta LITE UP to keep the boogers offa my tail as we decend into the mess -- bout halfway down I notice anuther small car of on the extreme RS near the call box there -- so I tell the kid we're gonna stop and see if I kin help that fella -- I LIT UP my arrow bar and strobes and start anglin over -- folks make a hole for me and I land in front of the disabled and back up to it -- it's an OH [ overheat ] -- I ask the fella the 2 important questions that go w an OH -- "did it DIE?" or "did you shut it off beFORE it died?" he answered correctly

So I was able to git *him* on his way w a cooled down engin & a full radiator told him to turn his heater ON as well to help keep it cool

we went around @ Robinson and came back SB to land behind his littl rice rocket fer the FORTH and last time  things finally went well and we launched tgeather w me "coverin" as the traffic was HEAVY but they made a hole fer us when I LIT

this here is like a "Reader's Digest" version of all that went on to git this fella outta harm's way -- but -- I don't have it left in me to tell the long version as t-nite's NCIS nite and I gotta go take a littl nappy so's I don't miss my favorite show

do ya know, this day's doins cost me over $100 -- fuel, tire, lugnuts, etc  but, ya'll remember that rescue note of thanks from 27 years ago I'd jist got? -- she'd *sent* me $100 check 

unawares, she helped me help this fella

THANKEE M'lady Phyllis

yer kindness got "passed on" this day  :)

GOOD onya

SanDiegoHighwayman

I don't wanta be this guy -- :deadhorse:

Just so ya know Rich, the main reason I responded to yer thread here was to thank YOU for yer carefully considerate tellin of yer  figuring of the "circumstances" I was encounterin. I was, and always WILL be grateful to those who helped me w-out hesitation -- both financially, and with hard to find parts that helped keep me on the road -- w my Merc, continuin my life's "mission" 

After spendin SO many years, and thousands of hours, building, maintaining, imagineering circuitry to make her dependable and able -- to have my Beulah destroyed as she was, devastated me.

When a HAMB member brought up the Search and Restore show, I was immediately excited by the possibility of Beulah being completely restored, and UPdated in an almost surgical atmosphere with SUCH attention to detail as they HAD done on the 55 Chevy wagon [ hulk ] that they did for the disabled fella!

http://blog.powerblocktv.com/chad-terhar-talks-about-search-restore-experience/?fbclid=IwAR1AZVzVFIaW1RC-xm2KZ8iocxp5kLU80gkC2c5ayujVxUWBN6u0GpcoBQU

I applied [ friends helped video my application ] and was accepted, and Beulah WAS going to be [ maybe ] in 2013!! BRAND NEW!

NO disrespect was ment, nor intended, for anyone  --

UNfortunately, the show folded before that happened [ sponsorship issues, colliding egos, and other problems :( 

Beulah's story is loooooong and winding and "while I'm still here"  I'll remember it, but, when it gits retold by others,
things git confused.

She was my "white steed" I rode in service to others for all those years till she was "killed" and I knew I didn't HAVE those thousands of hours I'd spent ON her left, so I've continued my "mission" as long as I could, with my 56 Merc Ambulance.  [ so similar in appearance, that most folk, couldn't tell the difference. ]

In October of 2015, I severely injured my right shoulder during a freeway "rescue" incident. [ limiting my abilities ]

In February 2017 my Shela passed -- and right after, in March of that year, I had a stroke [ wife said she thought it was brought on by the passing of my Shela -- she might have been correct :(

Just wanted you to know I appreciate yer kindness --------------------------------- and that of those who've helped *me* help others throughout the years.

tomas

:burnout:

SanDiegoHighwayman

"Each of has a vision of the world that belongs to him alone, and when he dies that world dies with him. Others may share in some parts of it, but none will see it exactly as he does, nor will all experience it in the same way, for they are living with their own vision of reality.
Each man's vision of reality is based on his life experience,the influences of people, places, books, dreams, work, all the various aspects of his existence that go to make up him, or her."

[ profound observation taken from Louis L'amour's Haunted Mesa ]

hiball3985

So very true. Wishing you the best in the future.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

wishing you many more years in your vision! we have to live it.

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thanks fellas,  It's been a difficult "adjustment" for me after SO many years of BEIN the "helper" -- to needin and bein able to accept help from others,for myself.  :burnout:

RICH MUISE

Sorry Thomas, I deleted your last two posts from today and locked the topic. This thread went in exactly in the direction I was hoping it wouldn't go.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe