News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Motorcycles anyone?

Started by rmk57, 2014-12-01 14:19

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Who's got one and what do you ride.

A co-worker is offering a deal I can't refuse on a 1973 H-D Electra Glide. 95% original, low mile and runs great bike. Sunburst bronze with all original hard saddlebags. It's a sharp looking bike.

Seeing as I don't have anymore room for cars I think I could squeeze a bike into my garage.
The hard part is to convince my wife that's its a great investment.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

junior58

I've never been a bike rider, too wrapped up in cars, but my partner Clare has ridden for years in the UK on Triumphs then Harleys before coming out to New Zealand. She now has a 2013 103 cubic inch Harley Dyna Switchback. Always a tough decision when going out whether I ride on the back with her or she rides with me in Victoria. Either way, it's cool, but may have to get a bike licence now.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Zapato

Steve, no offense meant but don't they call that the ''bitch seat''?   :002:

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

John Palmer

I sold my Kawasaki Concours 14 at 16,000 miles, and bought a '57 Ranch Wagon.

I ridden many different motorcycles and this was the nicest riding bike I've ever owned, or rode.

The California CHP have started riding this same model.

At 1400cc, and about 150+ horse power, it's a go fast, comfortable bike for old men.  It's a sport touring "bagger" model based on the ZX14 sport bike.  It has variable valve timing, and tons of torque.

Finally1

1985 Yamaha Fz750 . Completely redone has 1000 swing arm and rear wheel to get bigger tire has YZF600 frt wheel been lowered 3.5 inches in rear for better handling . Not the fastest bike out there but runs really well and still comfortable to ride for a middle aged chubby guy .
1957-70A -19000 miles
1966 Gt Fairlane 38000 miles

Both cars still have original sheet metal

Jeff Norwell

I had a 900 KZ kawi in college, I liked cars better.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ford Blue blood

First bike was a Kaw 500CC Mach III....only good for one thing, going fast in a straight line!  Moved to a 550 Suzuki then to a shaft drive 850 Suzuki.  Stopped riding after several close calls on the streets of Va Beach and Norfolk.  Having been involved in four different "actions" during my career getting bumped off by a stupid person didn't sit with me well.  My young and bullet proof mentality went out the door after having people trying to kill me (age helped with that) plus getting shot at changes your perspective on lots of things.  The idea of saving a couple of bucks in commuting just don't land up too high on the list.

I had many miles on bikes (over 100K between the three) and get the tingle every once in a while.  If I do succumb it will be with the new Indian.  Just love the looks!  That and I found out what HD stands for....$100 every time you walk in the dealers door!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

First bike was a Honda 305 Super Hawk, second was a 450. Gave up riding after being nailed by a car in 1971  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57redwhitered

I woke my dad up one morning a 2:30 when I was 17 to ask him if I could trade my 56 Vicky for a Harley.  still can't believe how dumb that was on my part and I appreciate how wise he was
1957 Skyliner

junior58

Yes Zap, they do call it the "bitch seat", but when you see what (who) I have to hang on to, you'll see why I don't complain. :003:
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

Zapato

Quote from: junior58 on 2014-12-02 14:57
Yes Zap, they do call it the "bitch seat", but when you see what (who) I have to hang on to, you'll see why I don't complain. :003:

totally understand now, and good for you.

zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

rmk57

In the early 80s a buddy let me take his Kawasaki 750 triple for a spin. Only thing done to it was expansion chambers and re-jetted. It was the scariest motorcycle I have ever ridden. Had so much horsepower for the small frame that it would get this nasty wobble when you crack the throttle out of a corner and then wobble more when you backed off the gas.
I wonder how many people died on those things?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Lucky'57

Had a '57 Triumph "Tiger 500" and a '62 Norton 25 years ago, rebuilt them both. Sold them both when a Mercedes Benz klipped me on the '57 and broke my leg. '57 project was 6 hours out of the paint shop. Should of not of knee jerked and hung on to them. Oh well...
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Wirenut

I have owned quite a few over the years and they are a lot of fun and can really allow you to see the scenery more than from an enclosed vehicle. The last one I had was a Harley FXS Low rider and all was great until the front tire went flat while hooking it down the highway leaning into a curve at 70 MPH. I and the bike survived with a bit of mending but could never go that fast on one again. I would get another but every time I get out on the road with some of the inconsiderate drivers it makes me rethink the safety aspect of being so vulnerable. Here in the San Antonio area it is almost daily someone gets killed on one and over 50% of the time the driver of the other vehicle flees the scene. If you have an uncongested area where the roads are less traveled it can be the best therapy you can get. Good luck on your decision and I hope not to discourage you but factor in the safety aspect and where it will be ridden is my suggestion.

BP57CUSTOM

I had a Honda trail 90 , but recently sold it to buy 57 parts.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor