News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Did I goof?

Started by Ecode70D, 2014-08-04 07:35

Previous topic - Next topic

hotroddonnie

If I were to build an original 57 I wouldn't have made any changes to the bumpers, but obviously I've made a lot of changes what's a few more. I did keep the noisy hood hinges! HRD

Ecode70D

Quote from: Zapato on 2014-08-05 23:58
I like that bumper guard, is it standard on all Edsels ? Know a guy that parts out Edsels should give him a call.

Zap- :unitedstates:

I'm not going to make any changes, but sure would like to see one of those bumper guards that         you are talking about.

RICH MUISE

I never found what he was talking about either.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Well that makes at least two of us that don't know what it looks like.

djfordmanjack

generally speaking, IMO the custom or wagon/ranchero rear bumper has great design and looks way better than the Fairlane overriders style. the reveal in the bumper looks terrific. also the license plate recess. But yes the big gap looking from front to back is annoying. HRD did a great job BEFORE plating. I purchased fresh bumpers so no way to do this mod before. I plan to build some extra stainless corners for those gaps, much like an overrider post would look on a 55 Ford front or accessory gravelguards and stuff like that. this should help.
There are some highly modified Kustom buildt 57s out there with reversed bumpers, but they look stupid to me. it is exactly the factory bumpers, getting wider at the bottom, that make the solid look of a 57 I think. It ties them more to the ground. I will drop my front bumper about 3/4 of an inch or so to get it even with the front splash panel.
Jay, since your car is all original, the bumper looks great as is  :002:
did they really bolt them upside down on the 58 Edsel ??

djfordmanjack

look here, that is just your stock 57 bumper.
I think this is the bumper guard they were refering to

great looking wagon also
it's interesting how the 58 Edsel was obviously based on the 57 Ford models, all the roof and tailgates, everthing looks to be 57 stuff
Jay did your business model even come with any bumper guards? even that should've been a factory delete ?!

hotroddonnie

The detail on that wagon you just don't see anymore. Cars and music from the past are all different in their own way and can be separated, today cars and music all look and sound the same.

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2014-08-07 03:49
look here, that is just your stock 57 bumper.
I think this is the bumper guard they were refering to
Jay did your business model even come with any bumper guards? even that should've been a factory delete ?!

Günter
     Thanks for posting that Edsel bumper guard picture.   Now I know what it looks like.
      I'm pretty sure that they all came with bumper guards.  Jay

djfordmanjack

yes you are so right. we can't turn back time, and today's wealth and freedom sure feels good, but concerning diversity and
beauty in detail, todays world is lacking so much, it's true. especially when taking part in a vintage car or rod run and when you see all those old cars in front of you, and then again you see the modern cars, you come to understand how ugly and plain those are. the LED taillights, plastic bumpers and all...it is just disgusting in direct comparison to chromed taillight bezels, bumper guards, tank fillers and little glass windows of the old cars. let's not start talking todays music or I'll have to throw up... :002:
The Edsel wagon pictured, while IMHO it is not the cleanest looking car with all those add ons, but it sure looks striking to me. When you see what they came up with only adding to the 57 Ford wagon. the color combo is fantastic and I love the liftgate molding and rear bumper guard. will put those on my Del Rio, even if the tailgate molding says Edsel on it  :003: it just says KUSTOM KOOL to me.

Quote from: hotroddonnie on 2014-08-07 05:14
The detail on that wagon you just don't see anymore. Cars and music from the past are all different in their own way and can be separated, today cars and music all look and sound the same.

Zapato

is that a real vent under the liftgate glass or a dummy like on the 558 Impala?

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ford Blue blood

It is just a trim piece with the "Edsel" letters.  All 58s had this finish detail, wagons on the lift gate and the rest of the line on the trunk lid.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

djfordmanjack

this is the liftgate trim piece. I just purchased it off ebay.

maybe I'll grind down the EDSEL letters and put some stars or stainless bars instead. would be a great idea to make it a real vent, but will be difficult to seal it against rain/high pressure washing.

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2014-08-08 09:39
this is the liftgate trim piece. I just purchased it off ebay.
maybe I'll grind down the EDSEL letters and put some stars or stainless bars instead. would be a great idea to make it a real vent, but will be difficult to seal it against rain/high pressure washing.

Günter
     That was fast work locating the piece.  Give it some serious thought before you alter it.  Why not use as it is?  Jay

djfordmanjack

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2014-08-08 18:53
     Günter
     That was fast work locating the piece.  Give it some serious thought before you alter it.  Why not use as it is?  Jay

yes, in the beginning I didn't think that I would be able to find this piece in a short time and reasonable price. I was lucky though.
I usually build my cars rather in a clean look and I am the guy to remove some small badges or trim, but I just loved that liftgate trim on the Edsel from first seeing it. as Zap stated, looks like a vent. I can't have it on the wagon during vehicle inspection or they will give me trouble for not believing it's a Ford wagon, when there is an Edsel badge on it...you already know our strict inspection stuff. Can add it after inspection. But it would be great if the center piece would say 'Del Rio', maybe I have something laser cut from stainless steel. It would make a terrific third brake light, if the cut out Del Rio letters were backlighted... But that is the least of my problems with the wagon right now  :002: :005:

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2014-08-09 02:45
But that is the least of my problems with the wagon right now  :002: :005:

Günter
      You don't need to give those crazy inspectors in your country something to make into a big problem, and you know that they will.
      I'll get get that measurement today for you.  Jay