News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

power steering box

Started by buckie405, 2011-12-26 15:59

Previous topic - Next topic

buckie405

Im looking at using a power steering box off of a early 1965 T-bird on my 57 ford 500 Wha do ya think?  Both are rear steer and look close to the same.

Frankenstein57

I would say do it and share the results with us, watch your frame to engine clearance. What engine are you running?  Mark

Ford Blue blood

That box is a monster!  It will use half the engine bay.  Give serious consideration to the  61 - 64 full size Ford manual box or the Borgeson box which is a bolt in operation.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

Try it and see, post results.  My dad also wants to get one ans see, mainly because it is an integral ps box. Neither one of us think very. Much of the original ps setup with the slave.  Get photos if you can.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

dgasman

Yes I have done this swap. The box can be mounted without much fab work but the main problem is the pitman arm . The tbird box has a 1 1/8th inch spline and the 57 ford pitman arm has a 1 inch spline .to make the 57 arm fit you have to find sombody that will respline the pitman arm (not cheep). I changed mine out with the borgeson box for a few reasons. the borgeson box is more compact and weighs a lot less than the tbird box and it also isnt as light on the touch as the tbird box.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

buckie405

WOW that picture says a lot! thanks for the input . I dont need to go any further with that Idea. I will bit the bullet and buy the after market box. THANKS

Roger

dgasman,how does the Borgenson compare to size with the manual 57.Mine is real close to my manifold and I have seen those Borgensons on Ebay and wondered about size and if they were any good.

dgasman

Roger,

The box is about 5 inches wide at the widest spot . I don't have a old ford box to compair it with .What motor are you using ? if its a FE there should be plenty of room .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman