News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Power steering set up

Started by Slimjim652, 2013-07-01 10:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Slimjim652

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the power steering setup for the 57-59 Fords.  Mine currently does not have a power steering setup and am looking to pick one up.  I was able to locate one locally for $200.00 (not sure if that's a good price or not) I'm not sure what more would be needed other then the pump.  It is listed to have power valve, cylinder, tie rods, drag link and idler arm,  Ill attach photos any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

RICH MUISE

Are you needing to keep it OEM? If not I'd give a serious look at a new Borgenson power steering box or a rack and pinion set up from STFabrications. Both have had good reports. Don't know about the price on the oem setup you found, but consider the cost of having it rebuilt added to it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lowrider

That's about the going rate for a used set up. The Borgensen set up is better but I guess you can't use them if your car is equipped with a standard transmission.

RICH MUISE

I think it is really strange that the Borgeson box is smaller, basically a "bolt in", but won't clear the z bar. What's up with that? I wonder if Ford offered power steering with a manual transmision, and if so, was the oem z bar on that different?
Edit...I don't know if it is smaller...I may have been confusing the power box with the manual box. Looking at the Borgeson online site, the power box looks bigger than I was thinking, and what I thought I was looking at at the NSRA show in Pueblo last week...The one at the show I'm now realizing was probably the manual version.
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/19571960_Ford_Custom-orderby_0-p-1-c-118.html
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

I have a complete system that is rebuilt, including the pump. All the tie rod ends are new, about all you would need is the lower pulley assuming you have a Y- block. I bought it from a guy at the Jefferson swap meet a few years ago, just never used it. Send me a pm if you are interested.  Mark