News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering column replacement

Started by lotsafords, 2009-08-28 15:13

Previous topic - Next topic

lotsafords

Searched the archives but found no reference to column replacement.  I know many of you have probably gone to Flaming River or one of the other mfg's but what I am looking for is info concerning the use of a Ford tilt from another model.  I have used brand X columns over the years in street rods but would really prefer to use a Ford product.  Anyone have any experience.  Will go into a 57 chero.
Thanks
Jack

57 Ford Kustom

Jack :006:
  As you know the big problem is the fact that 57 Ford has a full length inner shaft. You must cut it and spine the end for a rag joint or universals. Plus a smaller steering wheel with standard steering is no fun.

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

lotsafords

Fortunately I have P/S.  Am picking up a steering wheel next to test doing a diameter reduction.  Was hoping someone would have simpler answer than resplining.  Maybe the answer is to just do the Wildhog R&P.  I'll give it some more thought.
Thanks
Jack

57 Ford Kustom

Jack;

I have a 64 Ford box and a 67 Tbird tilt column for mine. If can get some of my health back will put in but will be next year at the earlyest.

TOM
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.