News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Lowering rear leaf springs

Started by johns2000, 2010-01-18 09:08

Previous topic - Next topic

johns2000

Anyone remove a leaf from your leaf springs to lower the rear of your car? I think I read somewhere to remove the 3rd leaf but can't remember if that was from the top or bottom? If anyones lowered the rear by doing this please let me know. Nobody around here will de-arch them and I don't want to use lowering blocks.

Lou

Don't remove a leaf, it will give the rear too much movement up and down, and the car will bottom too easy. If you have the original springs they have grown weak to begin with. You may not like lowering blocks but this is the best way to go, and if you run into a problem you can remove them with out too much trouble. If you are using new or rebuilt springs then go the other way and add a leaf, then used the lowering blocks. In any case if you are not using stock wheels make sure you check for the tires rubbing after lowering.

johns2000

I took my leaf springs to a local spring re-builder shop, they removed the 3rd and 5th leaf's which brought the rear end down about 2". Wagon looks much better and the shocks still have plenty travel, with the dropped spindles in front and the rear now down it has a nice stance.