News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wildhog or yellowwagon: question on rack and pinion

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-03-10 22:12

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I"m planning on ordering your rack and pinion set up hopefully in the near future, and want to get your opinion on the set up I'm using. I'm using a steering column out of a 97 Mustang (tilt,all the factory column controls, ect). I've already got the column mounted to the original brake/clutch pedal bracket (I have a reformed dashboard if you are wondering how the newer column fit). I have all of the original Mustang steering shafts all the way to where it mounted on the rack and pinion in the Mustang. It has 3 or 4 joints in the assembly, and a firewall bearing support. The first joint is about 2 inches in front of the brake pedal, with the pedal in the rest position. My question is, shouldn't all this flexability with the multiple joints make my job a little easier routing around whatever may get in the way, or am I wrong. I realize I'll end up fabing support brackets, and will probably end up having some Mustang shaped shafts machined if borgeson doesn't carry what I need.. Almost forgot..2dr custom with 4.6 dohc and 4R70W planned. Thanks
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Thor

Rich,
This is off topic but do you have any pic's of your installation of the 4.6 DOHC and 4R70W? I have been thinking about using this setup in my 58 Fairlane as I have a 4.6 DOHC/4R70W out of a 93 Lincoln Mark VIII (with 49K). I am planning to use a Rack and pinion setup I bought a few years ago from Rick Wurth. Bought it with an ididit column with cruise.

Have a Great Day,
Thor   

RICH MUISE

unfortunately, my 4.6 is still in the 94 mark viii I bought for the drivetrain. I'm looking for the same info. In my above post I stated it was planned, I may have to change to something simpler like a 351.

Thor

Sorry, I failed to see "planned". I have found a Pic of one in a 57 Ford online. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

wildhog

TANKER, COULD YOU SEND ME A FEW PICTURES OF YOUR JOINTS, WE HAVE PLAYED WITH A MUSTANG JOINT , BUT MAYBE NOT THE SAME AS YOU ARE USING. WE CANNOT GET SOME JOINTS TO MATCH THE FACTORY SET UP. LET US KNOW AND WE WILL DO WHAT EVER WE CAN TO HELP YOU OUT. THANKS TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Thor

Sorry Wildhog, But Rich had the original question  . I kind of Hijacked the thread from Rich when he made a comment about installing (actually he is planning on installing) a 4.6 DOHC/4R70W in his 57 (I have a 58 and want to do the same) :toothy5: Sorry about that!

Have a Great Day,
Thor

RICH MUISE

Wildhog, I think you may have meant to ask me to send pics of the mustang joints. Unfortunately last week someone stole my new canon sx20 camera. I must have left my car unlocked inadvertently. Really pissed me off, but anyways It'll be awhile before I have another$400 to replace it, so don't know when I'll be able to get pics. The shafts are round with 2 flats milled on it at an angle to each other forming a cone or pie shape. Borgensen sells the shafting and joints I believe.

cool57

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-03-12 18:35
Wildhog, I think you may have meant to ask me to send pics of the mustang joints. Unfortunately last week someone stole my new canon sx20 camera. I must have left my car unlocked inadvertently. Really pissed me off, but anyways It'll be awhile before I have another$400 to replace it, so don't know when I'll be able to get pics. The shafts are round with 2 flats milled on it at an angle to each other forming a cone or pie shape. Borgensen sells the shafting and joints I believe.
You can buy a decent "disposable" digital pretty cheap at many drug stores or discount stores. http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Digital-Cameras/3-in-1-Digital-Camera---Assorted-Colors/ID=prod4111289&navCount=0&navAction=push-product

yellowwagon

Rich im sorry this post is late i am willinging to work with you on the rack kit as far as you being able to use the joints you have i can send e mail with pics so you can see where the rack sits so you can see if your shafts and joints will work i also have a good supplier of joints and i can make you shafts in my shop if needed i will do all i can to help thanks sparky yellowwagon.

RICH MUISE

I'd appreciate the e-mail as i already responded on somebody else's post. Thanks, rich  richardmuise@yahoo.com