News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Project Air Conditioning, ’57 Ranchero

Started by RAWms, 2007-05-16 23:28

Previous topic - Next topic

RAWms

The Ranchero is now at the point the air conditioning (AC) installation needs to be addressed.  I thought I would use this thread to discuss the selection reasoning, engineering and installation issues, customer support, and performance of the sub-project on the main project of the Ranchero. 

The plan is to edit this post as the installation proceeds.  That will keep the flow in tact as opposed to piece meal through a thread.  Additionally, the initial post will be at the most current knowledge level in one place.  I have never done this sort of thing so you may need to bear with me.

Thank you James for letting me post this lengthy post.

AC is a relatively expensive luxury and takes time install.  Even though I'm on the southern California coast and AC need extremes are maybe two months long, this car will be my daily driver for the long haul so decided to install it.  I'm sure it will be much appreciated when used.

Decision to Install:

The overall Ranchero project was approached as this car will be my daily driver for a long time.  I want this car to be reliable, comfortable, a bit of performance, and a lot of fun.  It seems to me AC is almost required in today's environment and I would order it if I were to buy a new car (for me of course new cars do not have a chrome bumpers so that's out).   Installation is a challenge but retro-fitting would add to the complications.  Planning cannot be over done and time and patience is a must.  I'm discovering I should have read a little more carefully, asked even more questions, and waited a longer before making component mounting decisions.  I will point these issues out as I go along.  And, hopefully this will help others making the AC decision.

Selection: 

I chose Hot Rod Air after looking at: Hot Rod Air, Southern Air, Vintage Air, and Classic Air.  I felt Hot Rod Air was the most responsive and open to my questions.  Further they offer modification of original heater controls to operate their evaporator (AC, heat, and defroster) for $150.  I chose the Elite Standard system. They do have a Deluxe evaporator with four ducts probably for sedans and wagons.  However, one should check the clearances as it does get tight under the dash.  Also, Hot Rod Air offers a lifetime warranty on the evaporator.

I also ordered the mounting plate for $50.  The thought was hanging the plate by itself would be easier than muscling the evaporator under the dash.  The plan did not work (for reasons discussed below) and wound up mounting the evaporator with "L" brackets. 

I wish I had known and ordered the compressor with the inlet and outlet on the rear back side.  (This is one of those read more issues I mentioned earlier)  My compressor came with the top side connections.  This appeared to have caused a hood clearance problem and I started making pre-mature modifications that rippled in other areas such as sectioning the compressor mount.  I called Wayne at Hot Rod Air to order a new mount and he went looking for a "Return" to send me for shipping cost only.  Pretty nice service.  Also, I started to discuss the Compressor Inlet/Outlet issue and Hot Rod Air is going to exchange the compressor.   Now that is Customer Support/Service in spades!   The whole process of pre-purchase and post purchase has been a pleasure with Hot Rod Air.

Component Installation:

Evaporator:   I initially attempted to install the evaporator under the passenger side of the dash with the optional mounting bracket.  After a few test fits I decided to use "L" brackets to support the evaporator.   I think the "L" brackets actually are a more rigid mount.  I think the mounting bracket is a good idea and would need to take another look if I had a welder handy to tack in a few places and I had picked a different firewall connections and not located my hoses so low in the engine compartment.

You need the dash installed (Located) to finalize the mounting points.    Since I bolted in the evaporator and the passenger fender is off it was pretty easy to bolt into the passenger kick panel area.  Access to a welder would make installation of the evaporator fairly easy.

It is pretty tight.  I blocked off the passenger vent with an original Ford block off found on E-bay.  Ford's original AC also required the passenger vent to be blocked.

I selected the inline billet firewall connector for the hoses for the heater/AC system.  How I mounted the hose billet connector dictated the hose runs which contributed to my abandonment of the optional hanger bracket under the dash.  Also, in trying to keep the engine compartment clean by minimizing hoses visually, I installed the inline billet connector low.  Now the evaporator hose runs inside the car caused the evaporator to be lower in the passenger compartment. 

There are choices for the firewall hose penetration issue and I think I would choose the diamond formation next time or mounted mine higher and horizontal.

Compressor: Next I began to mount the compressor.  I had decided for a cleaner engine compartment I would mount the compressor on the passenger side.  Hot Rod Air provides a very stout well made Alan Grove mount for the Sandin compressor for the 351W.   They have mounts for 292 Y-block (Which suspect fit all of the Y-blocks but ask on a forum) and Ford flatheads. 

My first task was to align the drive belt to the crankshaft pulley.  I needed another 1" forward travel to run the belt on the forward crankshaft pulley.  (in board pulley is for water pump and PS, next the Alt., next AC)  I had the top adjustment portion of the mount modified to provide this forward position by adding material and extending the slots.   ALso, to verify the belt alignment I used a laser pointer.  Laying it in the pulley groove and pointing at the crankshaft pulley worked very well.

I will post a final compressor picture later.

Locating the compressor on the passenger side puts the compressor clutch/pulley smack dab into the radiator inlet.  So to the radiator shop and relocated the top radiator hose to the driver side.  We will see if cooling is an issue with the inlet and outlet on the same side is an issue and will report back.  The pre-formed upper radiator hose for this modification is Goodyear # 61494.  Trim about an inch off it looks factory.

Next, using the fender aprons as a reference point, I determined the hood would not close.  A couple of things were working against me.  First, the 351W needs to clear the front frame cross member so I used Gearheads motor mounts to raise the small block.  Then I installed headers and I thought I needed another 1" or so.  Over did it and had not removed them and I guess I forgot also.  So I sectioned 4" out of the bracket mount that bolts to the cylinder head.  Too much!   Now the fan hit the compressor.  btw, I removed the 1" spacers later and replaced with one flat washer to acommodate the headers.

Here is a picture of the mount I sectioned and the replaced mount Hot Rod Air sent me.  You can see there is quite a difference. 

A fix would be to run an electric fan but I prefer mechanical fans for constant air flow.  A 1 ½" extension would resolve this issue and may install one later only to move the fan a bit closer to the radiator.  Remember there will be engine coolant and refrigerant to cool so max air flow is desirable.

At this point I discovered Sandin offers rear inlet/outlet hose connections.  In a discussion with Hot Rod Air they offered to exchange mine.   Yep, I did.  This is one of the "I wish I read more carefully..." forehead slammers.

Bottom line on the compressor, I will run stock height on the compressor mount using rear hose connections.  While not completely installed yet this is the perfect setup.  Also, the original height of the mount provides a best path for the heater hoses.  Here is a picture of the replaced mount.  Note the path the heater hoses when hooked up will be allowed to travel.  The forward tab required cut off to allow the forward adjustment for pulley alignment.

A miscellaneous issue is to run a 100 amp alternator and is recommended by Hot Rod Air.  I'm running a GM 100 amp alternator which in the final installation I did drill the alternator mount hole to accept 7/16" bolt.  So much for my Bakersfield analogy; guess I will have to buy a drill motor and bit.

Condenser:  For the condenser mounting I used aluminum flat stock.  I picked up the radiator mounting bolts and drilled holes matching those on the condenser.  Nothing exotic here but the grille will have to come out, the condenser removed, to do radiator repair.  What the heck, "...the horse might die..."

Dryer:

Nothing fancy here.  I liked dgasmans location but that space now was the location for my headlight solenoid panel.  I think there is enough free air moving at this location for the dryer.  The wiring still needs to be dressed.

Performance:

To be added later

Epilog:

To be added later

Notes highlights:  Expand later on these subjects.
1.   Customer service:  Exceeded expectations re: Compressor swap and bracket replacement.
2.   Compressor with rear inlet outlet hose connections.
3.   If passenger side compressor mount is desired, original '57 radiator inlet hose needs to be modified.
4.   Compressor top adjustment/slider will need modification to match up to the outer most crankshaft pulley on a 351W.
5.   Firewall penetration product choices.
6.   Location height of hose connections.
7.      List final hose and fan belt part numbers for this configuration.
8.      Explain "Horse might die..." comment.
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

meteor

Roger, I was actually going to ask for some details on your install as I may consider adding air to the Ranch Wagon.

Thank you for posting such a detailed report and I look forward to reading more. I'm sure I won't be the only one who very much appreciates it when the time comes, as a matter of fact I'm going to save it in my tech archives.
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

KULTULZ

I have a friend that is doing a VINTAGE AIR swap on a CUSTOM. I am not overly impressed as the outer blower motor housing had to be eliminated and the two fresh air intakes off the cowl have to be shut off.

While doing a search for SELECT-AIRE, I came across a random comment (post) that the OEM installation lacked performance due to the size of the one fan. He (poster) suggested the POLAR-AIRE option (hang-on) was much better suited.

I will follow this with interest.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

dgasman

Roger , I think you will like the performance of the Hotrod air . I have the deluxe in my ranchero with 134a in it and it spits out ICE CUBES . I am very happy with the quality of the unit and the ease of installation and support from Hotrod air . You can still use your glove box if you order a factory AC glove box from one of the various suppliers .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

RAWms

dgasman,

I would like to see a picture of your engine compartment especially one of the compressor height and the location of the dryer.  I haven't received the mount or exchanged compressor yet.

r

...as of Apr 2007

dgasman

Roger , I don't think my comp hight will help you i have a FE in the ranchero but i have the dryer on the right hood hinge housing on a bracket . I hope the pic is a help .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

RAWms

dgasman,
thx for the pict.  I did not explore putting the dryer up front behind the grille and I should have.  I need to re-look at that tomorrow or Friday (my granddaughter has informed me we are going to the zoo tomorrow).  I just hung the dryer above the firewall connections as it seemed the best place at the time for "free" air and convenient.  Now that the front clip is on and I have the condenser installed I like the dryer up front where you have it installed.  Man, when a car is apart is hard to figure out where all this stuff needs to be.

Great pict and thank you, r

...as of Apr 2007

Ford Blue blood

Roger,
Just a thought.  Have you considered flipping the compressor and alternator?  As I recall there is plenty of room under to hang the compressor and the alt should fit between the head and still allow you to pick up the same belt or possibly run the same belt for both?
This thought pops up because all three of my late model Fords have the compressor mounted down under.  Only the 66 Falcon Ranchero (87 Lincoln 302) has the compressor up on top and that is mounted with the humongus aluminum bracket that came on the engine.
Bill

p.s. What did Rick send you to fix the saddle bearing?  A friend has one of his kits (in NH) and his bracket turns out to be the same as yours was.  On the phone I gave him my recommendation but he wants to call Rick because it is supposed to fit......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RAWms

Bill,

I received the replacement compressor mount and putting a few coats of paint on it before I mount it.  If I flipped the Alt. & Compressor the fan blade would it the compressor clutch.  I'm pretty sure the replacement mount will clear fan.  Also, the compressor belt requires an idler pulley to clear the water pump snout.  It looks like a stock Ford idler mounted on the compressor will do the trick but still need to get the compressor mounted to be sure.

Regarding the saddle bearing, I shot a picture for Rick and he did not think there was an issue.  Rick said if there is an issue he will work with me and he has been very good to work with so I'm not concerned.  The car has only seen driveway operation so far.  There are a lot of small time consuming work to be done before I can get the mufflers, etc. and on the road. 

This "one year" project is going on two and a half like all the rest. 

r

...as of Apr 2007