News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Meltdown Drags Byron, Il July 19-21

Started by JimNolan, 2013-07-08 13:24

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

My 57 Fairlane will be there next weekend.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

wildhog

I have both the Sunliner and Custom preregistered, but the custom is in paint jail! Should be done ,also trying to get the Ranchero ready for a soft throttle pass. If any one can make it park just inside the gate, with the Y-block powered cars. Even if you are not into drag racing, a good car show and a lot of fun. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JimNolan

I'll look for you Tom. We'll be up Friday morning.

JimNolan

Tom,
   A couple of questions. Is the track locked up tight enough during the night for me to leave my truck and trailer parked there. If so that'd save me from having to reload each night. Also, I figure I'm going to be running in the high 13's or low 14's with my 57 so will finding "like" ET cars be difficult since I'll probably not know very many people there. Eric Koopmeiners sent me a entry number and explained this weekend would be more or less race whoever you can find to race that wants to race you in your own ET bracket. I hope a bunch of the FE Power Forum and Fairlane Club racers make the show also. I look forward to seeing you guys. Jim

wildhog

Jim, The track is O.K. Vic is staying all night in his motor home, we will all try to park togeather and watch out for each other. You just have to watch the other cars and find one about the same time as you and ask him to run you, it's all about fun, but some of those old boys were sand baging until they found some one they wanted to run and then they seemed to run a lot better!!!!
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JimNolan

I think this will be a great week-end for me. I got a new truck so I could pull my 57 to the track. Worry about breakage won't be a problem this time. I should be more relaxed and be able to enjoy myself more. Thanks Tom. Jim

6cyl57

I plan on getting there Friday either with my 57 or a motorhome. And because of schedule
conflict I will be back later Friday with which ever one I didn't bring.
I will look you guys up over the 3 days.
This was a real good time last year. If anyone is on the fence about going, you wont be
disappointed.
The have reached the 300 (+) car count.

the track does seem to be secure at night also. Plus a lot of good people around
to keep watch. I have spent many nights there and never heard of anything bad.

6cyl57

Oh and if anyone wants to spot me about 3/4 track I will run-em.
Im guessing 18.s to 20.s in the 1/4

and there is a cruise-in from track to town Friday and Saturday night.

JimNolan

I should be getting there about 2 or 3 in the afternoon Friday. I want to get the truck and trailer parked at the track and since I use my car as a daily driver, go to the cruise-in's and back and forth from the motel in the 57.
P.S.  The good news is that it suppose to cool down into the 80's Saturday and Sunday. I'm running more horsepower and I won't be able to sit in 95 degree heat for extended periods of time like we did in Columbus a couple years ago. Drag racing is secondary to cruising where my car's concerned. 

6cyl57

I been following the Melt Down on the HAMB.
there are over 400 cars registered now. This is going to be one
for the books.!!!
Saw the weather forcast also, mid 70s during the day and 60s
at night. NO rain.....so far.

57AGIN

Guys:

Whatever happened to or at the Meltdown Drags?  Lots of replies leading up to the event date, but nothing after July 19-21???  Sounded like it was going to be real fun...

Bob
57 AGIN

6cyl57

I kinda thought the same thing..... got quiet around here .

I did meet a few of the members on here. The weather was great, the cars
were fantastic. There was one mishap with a Front Engine dragster, it hit the wall.
The driver got 3 broken ribs. It was a very uneasy moment but all in all turned
out better than I expected for him.

I did make a pass Saturday and one Sunday
I may have set a TRACK RECORD for the slowest pass ever.
52mph and 24 seconds in the 1/4......ugh!

I have a few pictures to post but have to do it later.
Here is a link from the HAMB.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818802

JimNolan

My 57 Fairlane had issues with running out of gas. 5/16" fuel line was keeping it from pulling in 4th gear. Best time was 14.80 @95.4 mph. It gets a new 3/8" fuel line Wednesday. I've already got the timing set, 16 degrees initial with a total of 38 degrees. Hope to get into the low 14's in Columbus during the Ford Expo. There were a bunch of cars at the Meltdown drags. Had a lot of fun.

gasman826

Just some thoughts...but a 5/16" fuel line should have no problem feeding a 300HP engine at WOT.  The line might have a partial obstruction, a clogged fuel filter, a failing fuel pump, or a plugged vent.  Those mud dobbers love to plug vent lines!!!!!!!!

JimNolan

Gasman,
   I had the same problem with the 300 HP 390 in 2011 at Columbus. It was starving for fuel on the top end. Temp was 105 then. Last week at Byron the temp was 93 degrees and I was falling on my nose as soon as I came out of 3rd gear. It's a new 5/16" fuel line but it's not big enough. I think this will fix it. It's all that's left that could be wrong with it. I'm not running the 300 hp 390 any more. I'm running a 410ci with 750 Holley. It needs more gas. I could lift while it was falling on it's nose and it would start pulling again. So, I know I was running out of gas. Jim