News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

WildHogs Rack/Pinion Kit

Started by KidKourier, 2009-03-21 16:53

Previous topic - Next topic

KidKourier

Just purchased WildHogs rack and pinion kit for my Courier( check out "under Construction" section of Gallery--WildHogs Ranchero shows rack installed) I talk to Tom about his kit and he took the time to answer each and every question and address my concerns about quality and delivery time.Tom E-mailed me conferming payment and Monday ship date(3/16)it came Sat.(3/21)by U.S.Postal Service--Total time less than 2 weeks! Great looking kit,as soon as I install it I'll give feedback on results.KID
                                                          Well out in the garage this weekend removing old rack and steering shaft to column,had to marvel at the inginuity of the shaft,it's a 10"---1/2" drive extension(Craftsman) with swivel joints at each end (and I've driven it this way for 1800 miles) LOL. Installed the mounting brackets and power rack and everything  fits perfectly(way to go Tom!),had a couple of hiccups--Tom sent outer tie rods for '57 Ford and mine is '72 Ford spindles/disc brakes,my fault not Tom's--- then the steering column is Lincoln (72 ?) so end is square,not splined or round(like in kit) or "D"shaped so search is on for swivel with square at column to round at shaft,needless to say the Napa guy and I are becoming great "Buds"! Decided to install new front shocks and drilled/slotted rotors on front, should look great through the Torque Thurst rims so may be down for a couple more weeks before road test on new rack kit but every thing looks promising(Oh,new rack is 6" to 8" higher up than old rack location Post some pics soon!   KID   

JPotter57

Kid, be sure to take lots of photos.  When you get done, send me some photos and some details of the install, and I will put together a tech article for the site. 

I spoke with Tom and John at the Spring Swap, and laid hands on the rack and pinion setup.  It is a very nicely made kit, and is much cleaner than similar kits on the market.  The kit uses teflon lined rodends on the inner tie rod ends, and lower steering shaft support.  This is a fine looking kit, and the instruction sheet, though Tom and John call it basic, is very nicely finished with large photos detailing some of the issues you will face when installing this kit.  None of them would keep you from installing this kit in a few hours minimum, a weekend if you work slower or have "helpers" around.  Really a top notch setup from a pair of top notch fellows..
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

KidKourier

James,   I am taking photos of the install and will forward to you as soon as completed. As I stated above the installation of the rack is very simple and Tom or John will answer any questions or help with any problems if any should occur. At the time I received mine,the instructions were still at the printers so John sent a few pages of pictures with some pointers printed on them that made install easy,but you should read the instructions first to get a clear picture of the install.Agin,the kit is top quality and easy to install in a weekend(or less!)as I'm not a mechanic,I was still able to do install with basic hand tools even with motor in ! It's probably going to take me longer to install the rotors and brake pads then the rack did. Oh,mines a power rack so your going to have to have new power steering lines made at your local parts store unless you can make the old ones work,mine were cobbled togather pieces of junk so new ones were needed.Due to work constraints and going to the Goodguys DelMar Car Show saturday,I'll probably have it finished the following weekend and have it at the alignment shop.  Kid