News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Thanks again rich!

Started by 05gt, 2011-08-21 20:38

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

Was able to talk to Rich on the phone today for about a hour. Very nice guy and VERY knowledgeable!! Learned alot and really appreciated all the advice. Now done with the talking, and time to start doing!  :003:

RICH MUISE

Thanks Mark..call anytime..you got my number
Guys...Mark is working on a '57 Fairlane 2dr. htp. that belonged to his grandfather, and then his uncle. Both have passed away and Mark is now doing some touch up stuff to an older restoration and is just keeping it in the family..way to go Mark!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Mark..One thing I forgot to talk to you about was cleaning.If you are stripping areas down to bare metal by mechanical means, such as wire brushing or sanding discs, you need to clean the areas really well with a heavy duty cleaner BEFORE you start removing paint. Remove everything you can such as silicon residues, road tar, undercoating, etc. If you don't, you can force those contaminants into the surface of the metal causing an adhesion problem down the road.
Before, and sometimes during, the  painting process,your final cleaning should include both solvent based  cleaners, such as wax and grease remover, andand a water based cleaner. Wax and grease remover will not remove organic contaminants..bug juice, sweaty hand prints, etc. I use por-15 Marine clean for the organic cleaner prior to paint, and sprayaway aerosol glass cleaner for in between coats if necessary (I have a bad habit of putting sweaty hands or arms on areas I've just sanded)
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

05gt

Will do! Thanks again!!