News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front Seat

Started by jegsr, 2007-10-23 20:13

Previous topic - Next topic

jegsr

Looking for a replacement front bench for my 1957 Ford Custom 70D.  What has someone else used to get a little more comfor? Must be a bench seat and of course a FORD seat.  I have a real nice original seat, covered with black/silver metal fake, that will be looking for a new home.  Thanks, jegsr

57AGIN

Jegsr:

I went the after market route.  I installed a Glide Engineering bench front seat in my Custom 300.  This was necessary for me, as I need to have a lay back (to enable me to lay my surfboard on when putting it through the trunk & lay down back seat), as well as a lay forward seat (for back seat access).  I also wanted a arm rest with coffee cup holder, to free up my right arm for shifting.

Bob
57AGIN

cool57

I've considered the glide seat for comfort and range of adjustment. Since they don't offer a specific seat for 57 Fords, which seat did you use?

57AGIN

Cool57:

I used their front seat for the tri-five Chevys (shame on me).  It is the same width, but I did have to mount the seat without using the standard Ford mounts.  No problem, works fine, meets my needs, comfortable and looks pretty good too.

Bob
57AGIN

cool57

Thanks Bob.
            So did you have to drill the floor? Is the overall height close to original? It looks like the backs might be slightly taller than the stock Ford seat. Looks comfy!

57AGIN

Cool57:

Yes, I drilled the floor and also put a bar on the other side of the floor pan for added strength.  The seat height is exactly the same as what the car had in the front when I bought the car.  The original seat might not have been the stock Ford seat and it wasn't even attached to my almost nonexistent floor when I got the car.  (picture of original attached)  The seat back is higher than stock and the seat is very comfortable.  All in all, I think the seat was one of the better things I did in upgrading the 57.

Bob
57AGIN

cool57

The seat looks great in your car and I agree it is terrific addition, certainly conducive to some real driving. Do they offer a power base?

57AGIN

Cool57

I honestly don't know, I never checked.  You might want to check directly with them (909)944-9556.  Let me know what you find out.

Bob
57AGIN