News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

windshield wipers

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2007-11-11 11:10

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

i forgot the name of the company that makes windshield wiper motor kits set up for 1957 fords,  the ones that cost around 200 bucks,  thanks

57 Ford Kustom

Gerald :006:
    Got mine from Concours Parts and Assc.   1-800-722-0009  part # B7A-17508-E  $215.00 also get  17508 wiper switch ext. $19.95 uses oringal bezel and knob.

T 8)M   :unitedstates:  :burnout:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

cool57

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2007-11-11 11:10
i forgot the name of the company that makes windshield wiper motor kits set up for 1957 fords,  the ones that cost around 200 bucks,  thanks

Newport Engineering

JPotter57

I also got mine from Newport Engineering...Works pretty good if your cables and transmissions are in good shape.  Mine took a dump, so I will be converting mine.  I have found that the `55-57 Thunderbird used rods instead of cables and pulleys.  I will be looking into that, if not feasible, I will be buying the street rod kit sold for `55-57 Chevys.  It is a cable driven deal, sort of like the late model power window kits.  It is pretty simple, and does everything the originals did, except have a lot of aluminum pulleys to seize up.  I was trying to work mine back and forth today to see if they would free up and part of it came off in my hand, so it is now dead.  Whatever I do, I'll get pictures to show you all what I did...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

cool57

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2007-11-11 22:39
I also got mine from Newport Engineering...Works pretty good if your cables and transmissions are in good shape.  Mine took a dump, so I will be converting mine.  I have found that the `55-57 Thunderbird used rods instead of cables and pulleys.  I will be looking into that, if not feasible, I will be buying the street rod kit sold for `55-57 Chevys.  It is a cable driven deal, sort of like the late model power window kits.  It is pretty simple, and does everything the originals did, except have a lot of aluminum pulleys to seize up.  I was trying to work mine back and forth today to see if they would free up and part of it came off in my hand, so it is now dead.  Whatever I do, I'll get pictures to show you all what I did...

A guy on E-Bay is selling a kit that converts cables to solid linkage, claims it works on 57 Fords and Ch--ys. Uses flat strap.

JPotter57

I saw that.  If you can find some `55-57 Thunderbird parts, check those out.  I also found that `58-60 Chevrolet can be made to work, as they have the smae wiper sweep as the earlier Fords and Chevs.  They also use rods instead of cables.  Something to think about.
Old, loud, and fast.

Hoosier Hurricane

Thunderbird pivots may be a place to start, but the linkage is out of the question.  T-Bird system is under the dash on the passenger side of the firewall, there is no fresh air plenum between the firewall and passenger compartment like on '57 passenger cars.  The T-Bird system looks to be a variation of the pre-57 passenger car setup.

When I saw the kits on ebay, I thought, "I could build my own kit".  After about a week of 8 hour days and several "start overs", I finally got it to work on my Ranchero and got the sweep right.  Should have bought the kit.

John

JPotter57

That makes sense, John.  I will have to look into it when I get that far along.  I am not really even to the disassembly stage yet.  I will get it done before paint though.  Thnaks for the heads up on the TBird parts.
Old, loud, and fast.