Prospective New Member Having Difficulty Joining The Forum

Started by KYBlueOval, 2019-02-27 17:09

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Today I received a call from a fella responding to a Parts for Sale ad I have posted as he has recently acquired a '57 Del Rio. In our conversation he said he had completed the required form to join the forum, and submitted it, but it has been several weeks and no acceptance or acknowledgement has been received. He added that he is aware of one other person that has experienced the same thing.
Anyone know what the problem may be?

rmk57

Is it an automatic type registration or does Mr. Potter have clear it and activate his membership ?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

I think it has to be cleared by James. He's on the road alot, that may be the problem. This is not the first time we've heard it, a few new members have mentioned it took quite a while. Maybe one of the moderators would agree to help out on this, but I would also understand James' reluctance to lose control of who is on his website. We've been blessed I think to have a great bunch of guys that keep things in line without a whole lot of watching over. Next to nothing with spammers that I'm aware of. LOL, it's almost funny to imagine the Hamb without Ryan's band of moderators to keep things somewhat civil and orderly. Just my 2 cents.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-02-27 20:25
I think it has to be cleared by James.
I think you're right.
I had trouble getting on years ago.  Somehow found James' email, wrote him, got a reply & finally got on here.

RICH MUISE

RICH MUISE

James has taken some steps to help with the new member approval situation. Some of you may have noticed under my tag is now a "Global Moderator" title. I'm going to need some time to get it all figured out, but after I do, I'll be able to help getting new members brought on board quickly. I've got lots of new buttons to play with/figure out!
Haha.....he elected me because I was here all the time anyway. That's what I get for suggesting maybe he needed help because of his hectic schedule. That's ok, glad to help.
I'm going to try and make this a sticky so prospective members might see it.

57imposter

A while back I was automatically logged out, I suspect due to inactivity. I tried to  log in, probably 10 or 15 times using the "log in" link on the home page. Every time I got a message that said "your log in session has timed out. Pls try again later." I finally got in, kinda, thru the back door by using a Google search, found a link and it worked.

RICH MUISE

Hey Doug..........I got logged out yesterday for some reason, at the same time I was setting up a new email address to use for the new applicants. I logged back in using the normal method no problem. I do remember a few years back I had a problem and James gave me a new password. Apparently you're able to log in now, so I'll assume your ok now. I'm learning all this moderator stuff, but let me know if you have further problems.
My other email btw, is fiftysevenford@yahoo.
James, if your seeing these posts, I may still be having problems pm'ing you. Let me know if you've received any pms from me in the past few days.
I just had my wife apply for membership so I can practice the process without losing someone's application.

81TTA

Quote from: 57imposter on 2019-03-11 08:36
... I tried to  log in, probably 10 or 15 times using the "log in" link on the home page. Every time I got a message that said "your log in session has timed out. Pls try again later." ...

I'm having the same problem.  Identical error message coming up when trying to log in from the home page. 

My workaround is to click on someone's username within some posting.  A "full screen" login page comes up that works.

djfordmanjack

there is a dark blue highlighted area 2 lines below the usual login field. it has another button called 'login'. use this and you will be lead to the sperate login page directly. for some reason the og short cut log in doesn't work anymore.

CobraJoe

Quote from: Tom S on 2019-02-27 21:20
I think you're right.
I had trouble getting on years ago.  Somehow found James' email, wrote him, got a reply & finally got on here.

X 2 when I joined
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

RICH MUISE

As James mentioned before, membership is dependent on responding to an email sent to them. I sent out a bunch this morning. If you've applied for membership, watch for an email from richardmuise@yahoo and respond to it. If you've applied and didn't receive an email, please reapply.
Hope I don't mess this up, guys, I'm not a computer geek by any means.

rmk57

I think what happens if your not computer savvy is the email your supposed to respond to gets sent to your junk folder and you just never notice it. It's happen to a couple times until you become aware of it.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

I agree, exaclty why I posted my email and made this a sticky.......so the new applicants would know what to watch for.

Swank

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-03-11 15:56
there is a dark blue highlighted area 2 lines below the usual login field. it has another button called 'login'. use this and you will be lead to the sperate login page directly. for some reason the og short cut log in doesn't work anymore.

I will second this.  If i get logged out, this is how i have to sign back in.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)