News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

forumn issues

Started by RICH MUISE, 2020-11-18 10:13

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

As most of you know, we've had issues with not being able to post pics. Bill, Jeff, and I have sent messages to James and as of yet, we have had no response. Of course, my first concern is hoping everything is well with him. He may just be out of town and out of cell phone range. Yes, I am a moderator, but as most of you know, I'm an analog old-timer, so this hi-tech stuff is beyond my understanding even if I had access to the server, which I don't.
So, is there anything we can do to fix the issue? Maybe. We need to put our heads together and see if anybody here has some answers. My main question at this time is: what exactly is this "upload folder" we're being told is full? Is it just a folder that holds info temporarily while stuff is in process of being uploaded to the forum, or is it permanent storage for all things forum-related (text and pics), or permanent storage just for pics??
Maybe Jeff can find out from Ryan at the Hamb what exactly the "upload folder" is.
My thoughts are either it's a temporary holding folder that has a problem we can't do anything about, and that needs to be fixed by the host. OR (and this is where my "maybe" comes in, it's a permanent folder that we have exceeded our limits on and I can reduce by deleting old irrelevant pics.
Give me some input guys......this is our forum. My thoughts at this time are to put a temporary hold on posting pics while I go thru old threads purging irrelevant stuff. After I purge, I could try posting a pic normally to see if that helped. If it does, then at that point we'll have to make some decisions as to what can and cannot be posted. Priority, of course, will be keeping this forum functionable for '57 related stuff.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

I like Rich have no idea what the heck is going on.  No idea what the "upload folder" is either.  Never had a need to learn all the "language" computer geeks (I use that term fondly) use at either work or during my time in the Navy.  While I repaired complex electronic systems including computers programming was never part of the process.

I am willing to hold posting pictures until we/he/they can get this sorted and back on track.

I visit this site using explorer, just for grins and giggles went to Chrome and tried to load a picture, no joy so I'm leaning heavy on the site has issues....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

I'm of no help. On another site individuals were limited to how much space they were allowed to use for uploading pictures, I reached that max. But here it is effecting everyone so more then likely the limit is set in the software. I'm guessing the amount seemed more then enough when James set up the site but possibly it can be increased for additional $$$. Only James would know so we will hopefully hear from him soon..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Deleting pics will NOT solve the problem. Upload folders are temp folders. I suspect the issue will need to be addressed by the hosting company for the forum. So...finding out who that is, then advising them of the issues we are dealing with will be the answer. Since there IS a way around the issue that allows posting pics, this leads me to believe this is the solution.

Deleting pics that are old just takes away the foundation of our site. Maybe James will re-surface soon, or maybe we can find out who the site host is.

When I was a mod for another car site 15+ years back we had a similar issue, and the hosting company dealt with it.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

not a computer guy either, but what Hugh says makes a lot a sense. We're not in a hurry though. our cars left the building 63 years ago. :003:
so hopefully James will be back with some info on how to solve the problem, In the meantime I highly encourage to use off site upload platforms. much as in Joes tutorial. They are easy to use, once you try. I think we also can assist our not so computer savvy guys as to how to use these.

RICH MUISE

ok...the info Hugh provided was what I was looking for. Thanks...........and btw, I never had any intention of deleting relevant pics. I guess we're just going to have to wait for James.

mustang6984

I wasn't thinking you would delete "relevant" pics...to me ALL pics are relevant LOL!!!

Can you access the background info of the site that says "who" is the website host? If so...you could shoot them a direct e-mail and let them know about the problems...and then they  might be able to pop in.

Strangely they don't have a link at the bottom of the site pages advertising themselves...at least not that I could see.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

If you have access to Admin settings, I would try something like Admin -> Attachments -> Attachment settings. If that gets you to the right place, try and find the 'max size of attachment folder' setting and increase its value to something larger.
Note sure, but this may be something that you may have to purchase more disc space from the host on their server.
That is why I use an image hosting service because of the amount of pictures I post, if I used the forum site to host them, I would single handedly use all the upload space with my two threads. Just so everyone understands, NONE of my pics are uploaded to your site, they are instead, linked to another image site.

Just  my $0.02
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

$0.02...might be worth more like $20.00 if that is the fix...just sayin'... :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

Nowadays almost everyone chooses to externally host images on most forums because of this reason, people like big detailed pictures these days. That's why file size is limited on most forums.
Utilizing a hosting site also gives you an Album of all your pictures. Many websites offer free services. I use Imgur; some others prefer Flickr, Google photos, Wix, Free image Sharing, ImageShack, IMGBox, DropBox, etc.

It is extremely easy, you just upload your photos to the website of choice, then grab the URL for the image and post that within your post/text.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

Think I'll try that...would it make it easier then to share pics with others when I send an e-mail?
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Joe, I understand what you are saying, and I know your pic size is very very small kb wise, but if what Hugh said is true for this website (being an upload temporary file ONLY), then there has to be a problem with what we have rather than needing to pay more $ for a larger file size.
I'll search what I can get into to see if there is a host name.

RICH MUISE

OK............did some looking around and found I can get into the administration center. It's midnight and I don't want to start some long involved procedure, so I'll try to get to it tomorrow. If nothing else, I know the name of the host now and found a button where I can contact them for help. So, looking promising.

mustang6984

:003: Good luck...off to bed myself...long day tomorrow.  :sleepy5:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Jeff Norwell

Rich, Bill.. when and if you need me to make the call.I will.
This style of forum was a Hamb unit years ago.... It has been upgraded to a different unit.... saying that.... that site is a monster and monthly upgrades are needed due to the size and traffic.
I will see if I can locate James....but on FB... he is constantly in Jail

hahahaha

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com