News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

possible car purchase-thoughts

Started by 1930artdeco, 2021-02-13 19:47

Previous topic - Next topic

bwayne

an overhaul is a lot less expensive than a rebuild. Definitely not $7000

dgasman

In my opinion, if the car is what you really want and it does look like a solid car from Cali I would buy it. It?s complete , all the hard parts to find are on it . Yes it will take time and money to make it what you want .
You need to think about what you really want and what you want out of it . We all will give you opinion but you must make the decisions that are good for you.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

alvin stadel

I can't believe I am saying this, but as they say " buy one done and have some fun".

mustang6984

I have an Explorer that sat for 10 years without being started. (Rich, Alvin and Terry have seen it) I pulled all the plugs, squirted each cylinder with some 30w oil (it's what I had at the time) and let the car sit for a couple of days.
Then I crawled under the nose with a breaker bar and a socket, and moved the crank pulley very slowly about 1/4 inch each direction alternating back and forth until I had gone that far only 10 times each.
After that I slowly increased my distance back and forth by about 1 inch increments until I got to about 1/4 of a full revolution. After that I took it full revolutions in operational direction in a very slow rotation for about 10 revolutions. Then I put my 1/2 inch ratchet on it and took about 10 rounds with that.
New plugs went in, and fresh gas in the cleaned out fuel tank, and the fuel line had new filter. She made about 3-4 revolutions and fired up like she had been running 10 minutes earlier...not 10 years ago. Smoked for about 5 minutes until all the 30w was gone, has NEVER smoked since. I put 100k on that little lady in 50 months. Then I bought my truck and started this move! She still fires up when I turn the key though...once the move is done...she will be back on the daily driver duty.

Now...I know that the above is probably overkill on "waking" up the sleeping beast, and it took probably and hour to do the engine revolutions, but I am a bit anal, and this was not the first time I had done this to an engine. It has worked for me 3 times, never had a broken ring, and engines have run for a long time. If it doesn't work for you...you're out an hour...if it does work, you have saved an engine and the rebuild time, cost and annoyance! Good luck!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

terry_208

When I was a kid I spent 2 days "freeing" a flathead v8 that had sat under the eaves of a garage.  The rings never did reseat but it ran well considering it used 6 quarts of oil per tank of gas.  It is amazing what a little oil poured into the cylinders will do for initially lubing the cylinder walls. 
Terry