News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

which electric wiper motor

Started by 1930artdeco, 2022-01-05 04:22

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

OK Turlock is coming this month. Since the engine is out I have lots of room to play with at the moment. Since I need wipers at some point-and I can stand in the engine bay I have three options:

1) have the original vacuum wipers rebuilt, they work ok and I would use Rain-X anyways with it

2) go to Turlock and find a tri 5 Chebby wiper motor, rebuild it and install it.

3) go with a Newport unit-but I want the dash to look stock

According to people here both electrics work fine and bolt right in. So do people have a preference as to which one is better or are they both comparable?

Thanks,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

gasman826

I've tried them all.  I liked the vacuum.  Vacuum wipers do require the vacuum booster fuel pump to work reliably.  I liked the variable speed.  Because of engine upgrade (no vacuum booster fuel pump option and no engine vacuum), I went to the Delco electric motor.  The Delco is an easy install, strong and worked fine.  It is a little hard to find one but rebuilders and parts are available.  There is no switched, 12V source under the hood in the OEM wire harness.  The cheap aftermarket electric options are typically underpowered and/or have a shorter stroke.  Most supply a switch that uses the OEM wiper knob.  Off the subject a little, use caution selecting wiper blades.  The original Trico refills are rare.  There are adapters but with two or three adapters, the blades can lay over in high winds and (if steel) scratch your new windshield.  I found black plastic blades but too late.

KYBlueOval

Mike, if you decide to go with the Tri 5 Chebby motor, I have core that needs to be rebuilt.
John

RICH MUISE

"cheap aftermarket electric options are typically underpowered and/or have a shorter stroke"
Gary, by "cheap aftermarket", I am assuming you are talking about the replacements for the Chevy unit, not Newport??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I used the Chebby motor, works great, used stock wiper switch/cable, only requires an additional hot wire..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Newport would be the only aftermarket (that I know of) that addresses the power and stroke/sweep issues of most of the no-name ones.

59meteor

i have never tried the Newport myself, but I really don`t like how they look, they just don`t look "right" to me personally. Plus you need to wire in an electric switch. I installed an original Trico electric motor from a 56 or 57 Chevy, it was an 100% straight bolt in, as if it was designed for the 57 Ford, and it looks like a 50s part, because it IS a 50s part. (If that matters to you.) even the factory wiper switch cable fit directly onto the Chevy motor. The only possible benefit I can with the Newport setup, is they can have intermittent wiper function, but realistically, unless the car will be used for year round driving, in rainy weather on a regular basis, not a real concern, at least to me.  On my 57, to supply power to the Trico motor, I just connected the single power wire from the motor, to the prong on the factory 57 brake light switch on the master cylinder, didn`t even need to modify the Chevys wire.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

gasman826

Then there is the Wiper Delete option.

Ford Blue blood

A 60 Ford wiper (located under the dash) fits after the mounting holes in the mount bracket on the motor are bushed.  The screws that mount the 60 up are larger then the screws that fit in the 57 mount.  Same hook up as the Trico for tr1 5s.  Looks exactly like the tri 5s.  Works perfect, installed one from a 60 into the wagon I had.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

1930artdeco

Ok, KYBlueoval has a wiper motor on hold for me. Anyone know where to get parts/it rebuilt? It is one from the tri 5 unmentionables.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

KYBlueOval

Let me clarify Mike's post, since there are two motors that have been discussed. I have a Tri-Five Chevy wiper motor core that I'm holding for him.
John

1930artdeco

Sorry I should have been a bit more clear in my question, thank you John. Next question about this is what do I do with the vacuum side of the fuel pump? Do I just cap the two lines or leave them open to the air? Do they do anything else other than power the wiper motor?

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

KULTULZ

FORD used the CHEV motor on it's electric powered wipers (limited option). Now I don't know how they were decorated, showing a GM or FORD PN.

Anyone have a take-out photo to look at?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

59meteor

Quote from: KULTULZ on 2022-01-08 04:28
FORD used the CHEV motor on it's electric powered wipers (limited option). Now I don't know how they were decorated, showing a GM or FORD PN.

Anyone have a take-out photo to look at?
Kultulz, my understanding is that the first year that Ford offered optional electric wipers on a passenger car, was 1959. My 59, and a few others that I parted out, all had the vacuum wipers, but I have 3 of the electric wiper motors that I had gotten from other 59s. The wiper motor itself looks very similar to the 56-7 Chevy, however, where the Chevy version only has a single wire visible, the 59 Ford motor has that same single power wire, but also has a sheetmetal top plate with 5 individual wires plugged into the switch. The Chevy motor must have a simpler, concealed wiring switch. I have photos of my 59 electric wiper motor, as well as a couple of my old 57 Sedan Delivery engine compartment, with the Chevy motor installed, but they are on my cell phone, and I seem unable to post photos onto this forum, from my phone.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

RICH MUISE

I was told they were available in '58, but never looked for one. As far as Ford using a Chevy wiper, I'm of the opinion it wasn't actually a Chevy wiper, but Trico. Same deal as Hydroboost being the same whether Ford or GM.......there are no Ford logos on my Mustang hydroboost. Can't remember the brand name offhand, but rebuild kits list Ford or GM.
Somebody mentioned the Newport wipers having an intermittent setting....could someone verify that please. Just curious because I thought my wiper system (Mustang) gave me something unique with the intermittents.....maybe not as unique as I thought.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe