News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

How best to rewire the dash

Started by 1930artdeco, 2022-06-24 22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

Ok, I am going to pick up a 300 dash for my wagon next month. It looks to be in really great shape with only two hole next to the stock radio shaft holes. Here is my thought that I want to run past you guys.

I have a RF wiring loom and I was thinking of taking the original dash out and transferring all of the switches, wires, screws and shafts and everything to the new one. And then reinstall the dash.

Or should I just pull the individual dash parts out of the original dash, rewire and leave the original dash in place?

Thanks,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

Ford Blue blood

Easier to do either with the dash out of the car.  That is because this old body does not understand the bending and twisting needed to do it in the car!

You can get a much neater job with it on a bench.  I would also suggest you paint the inside of the dash white as it makes it much easier to see stuff after it is installed.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

Much easier to remove the dash.  Much easier to paint.  Great time to spray Lizard Skin on the firewall (white).  Also a great time to replace the cowl drains.

fdlrc

I made a stand and attached fuse block where it will be in relation in car. I used a American Auto Wire 22 circuit harness.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

lalessi1

Man that sure does look GOOD!
Lynn

1930artdeco

Ok, where the bolts located that hold it in? I think they are on the sides of the dash. Thanks for the paint it white tip. I do have a lot of counter space now. So out it comes-with a lot of other stuff to boot.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

abe_lugo

There are 8 bolts along the top edge and about 2-4 on the lower corners. The brakes can come with the dash.   

Make sure your hood and brake brackets are disconnected. 
Also your air ducts.
Drop the steering column. 

Great advice on getting all that firewall cleaned and sealed.  Also might as well clean up the heater plenum while there is space.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

1930artdeco

Ok, so I am going to start wiring the car up in July after I follow some advice given here-like painting it white on the back side. My next question is this, I am working on a wagon and I know the wiring goes down the tranny tunnel towards the back seat. but how/where does it exit for the rear tail lights?

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

gasman826

The wagon's harness does a 90 under the rear seat to the left side.  It follows rearward in the left quarter, over the wheel well and to the left side of the tailgate.

1930artdeco

Thank you, I will start the tear apart soon.
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

gasman826

I did the '57 Custom dash completely on the bench (even powered it up).  I did most of the wiring without the dash installed.