News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hello

Started by 1930artdeco, 2020-07-16 18:32

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

Hello everyone,

I am newbie and finally have a question to ask as I am doing research for my next car. Currently I have a 99% stock Model A but fell in love with the 57 Ford line up so I am starting the research part before plunging. I know of two 57 rancheros for sale and the guy said he would take 12 for both or 7500 for one. One is totally stock the other has been 'upgraded' in the engine dept. I was looking at the all stock one (292 with auto) which has been sitting outside for years with the driver door open. Flat tires, collapsed shocks, etc., I could not get in to see about the rust on it, which I assume is probably a lot. I personally think that 7500 is quite a bit for a car that needs to be flatbeded home and frame off restored to get in drive shape-am I wrong? I could maybe see if it was in a barn and only needed a little help but we are talking full take down of all of the systems.

Thank you,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

CobraJoe

First off, welcome aboard. Secondly, I think if you could post some pics,it may help you out with your decision.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Ecode70D

Mike
    Welcome to the site.  Like Rich stated, pictures will help a lot. Just curious,  can you do body work?   
Jay   

CobraJoe

Rich? Really Jay????    :003:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

1930artdeco

Yeah pics would help, but that means thinking about these things ahead of time ::). I just wanted to make sure that my thinking was inline with reality. Either he has no interest in selling and highballing the price or he is just sitting on them until someone agrees to pay what he wants. As far as body work goes I am willing to learn all of the skills. I have the mechanic down pat and I just started to learn painting. I can't do welding where I live, as I live in a rental and I don't trust the wiring for my MIG welder.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

lalessi1

Welcome to the site! Personally I think $7500 is a LOT. I looked for a year before I bought, I paid $11K for my Custom Tudor but the metal work had been done, the car had been painted and you could drive it. It had a 302 and an AOD. I sold the engine and transmission for $1500.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I agree with what has been said. 7500. for what could be a years-long teardown just to repair rust, combined with what could easily be high $ for new metal could add up to a costly mistake. Being new to the '57 world you're going to find out building one of these is not like building a tri-five Chevy where everything you could need is easily available. Aside from some outer body panels and floor pans, very little is available for our '57's. With that said, 7500 for a rust free Ranchero would be on the higher side for a project needing most everything except rust repair, but doable.
I'd check the easy to get to areas for rust........rear quarters outside and inside around the wheel wells, rockers........particularly inside rockers where the floor supports are welded to. The inner rocker areas within the ends of the floor supports are prone to rusting out. Poke around there with a screwdriver to feel if the metal is solid. The mentioned proned-to-rust wheel wells are a good example of what IS NOT available for our cars.......wheel wells or patch panels have to be hand fabricated.
Check the doglegs on the A-pillar below the windshield. check the roof above the dripedge. If all that checks out good, I'd see if I could get it on a lift for a thorough inspection.
There are a few Ranchero builds in our build project area.....I think KYblueoval has a bunch of pics on his about sheetmetal replacement/fabrication.
just my 2 cents
Don't let your lack of bodywork experience scare you off. Good hands , patience, and a willingness to learn are the main requirements! I had to learn almost everything when I started my Custom as a first ever project car......including welding.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Welcome to the board !
It is very difficult to give advice on a car unseen. But since you mentioned that you cannot do any weld work in your garage, I would keep my hands off such an abandoned project Ranchero. They have their own share of 'areas' that could get difficult to repair without any proper welding and grinding gear. That said.
the better project car is always the better project foundation.
let's see some pics, please.

sprink88

If you think 7500 is to much then it is to much. I wouldn't pay more than $2500 for a field car that like you said, needs a frame off.  That tells me you will have to touch every part of that car. If you do your own work, you could probably get by with $10,000 to redo if you source a lot of junkyard metal.  And it just goes up from there for a $25,000-30,000 car.

Just to give you insight, I bought my car for $1500 (fordor post Fairlane 500).  Spent about $600 to get it on the road.  Have another $2500 in it now and it still looks the same. Granted most of that was engine and disc brakes and tires.   I don't plan on ever finishing it because the value will be lower than the cost to restore (right now fordors in my areas sell for $12-14,000 in great condition). It's just a cool grocery getter.
~Chris

Jeff Norwell

Welcome to the the board Mike.This is a much better deal and the owner will ship worldwide... Pretty sure you can neg. the price.
312 and all.. pretty solid.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1957-ford-fairlane-500-rust-free-original.1199973/
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

rmk57

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2020-07-21 12:19
Welcome to the the board Mike.This is a much better deal and the owner will ship worldwide... Pretty sure you can neg. the price.
312 and all.. pretty solid.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1957-ford-fairlane-500-rust-free-original.1199973/

Holy Moly! That is a nice car Jeff and pretty fair with the price also.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Jeff Norwell

Yea Randy..Its a good car from what I have seen.. about an hour away from me.....

djfordmanjack

that's a CRAZY cool color combo. could this be original special order ? looks like t bird bronze and coral on top.

Jeff Norwell

I do believe it is a factory paint G.. or so I have been told.California car

312 too

djfordmanjack

wow. Jeff. I want to see that beauty on 15" Halibrand kidney bean type, cast finish wheels with blackwall 6.40-15 on front and whitewall M&H cheater slicks in the back.... if you know my thinking.... woah.... that could be a VERY special 57 ! the black radials and poverty caps just don't do it justice imho.