News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

What to look for in a car

Started by 1930artdeco, 2020-10-26 13:25

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

Hello,

Long time learner (well at least a few months worth :003:) but have a question, that I may not have seen here on the forum. But what should I look for when I go to look at a car? I am not talking about the basics like: receipts, mileage, rust (although that is a major one apparently), overall condition. I am talking more about the small things: like the little chrome bits and bobs, wiper motors, trim pieces, the hard to find items.

I have a Model A so know what little pieces to look for and go 'ahh, this and that are missing and are hard to find'. Maybe a little lower price if there are lots of them missing. Like I said maybe there is a sticky someplace that I have missed, but I am enjoying reading all of the build threads and learning that these cars have a slight rust problem-occasionally. Thank you for your input and I hope to make a list of things to look for when I do get a chance to go look at a car.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

RICH MUISE

"learning that these cars have a slight rust problem"-occasionally.....................They almost ALWAYS have a rust problem that is almost never slight.
What to look for depends a lot on what you're plans are for the car. If your planning a factory correct restoration, then yes, the little bits and pieces that may be missing, or not up to snuff, may be a problem. If your planning a "make-it-your-own" custom or resto-mod, the little bits are not so important.
With that said, the biggest issue by far is rust. Particularly if you are looking at something that has been recently primered or painted. You just don't have a clue as to what could be under there. Floorboards have been a big problem area with these cars,check under carpet if you can . Other than that, rust issues seem to vary widely car to car. Some have issues with the doglegs under the windshield, others may have roof drip edge area rust. If the car has rusted rockers, you can be pretty sure it'll also have rusted inner rockers and floor support ends. If you are allowed, poke around underneath where the floor supports meet the inner rockers. There are openings in the ends where you can get in and feel for metal softness behind the support ends' flanges. Likewise, if the cars rear quarters are rusted, you can be sure the outer flange of the wheel well is also rusted, and they don't make those replacement wheel wells.Check floorboards from underneath as much as posible for signs of repairs done correctly or not done correctly. Another area prone to rust is the headlight surrounds and upper front fender "cap" area.
A lot of what to look for also depends on your experience, abilities, and most important........patience. You found the right place for help with a '57 Ford. These guys really know them well, have tons of experience, and are willing to share their knowledge.
Good luck!
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

CobraJoe

If you can, get the car up on a lift and look at the underside; beware of areas that have a lot of undercoating that someone may have applied to hide some patchwork and if you can poke around some areas that look skeptical.
Also look at the chassis and see if there are any kinks that may have been pulled back (or not) from an accident.
Look at body panel gaps, look for panels that are misaligned or mismatched, they too, could be tell tale signs of a previous collision.
While under the car, look at the bottom edges of the panels, like the fenders, rockers and quarter panels, they should be thin sheet metal, not thick and loaded with bondo.
As you said, check the trim pieces, some are just about impossible to find like the 1957 Ford paint dividers.
That said, good luck with your purchase and your project. Be sure to post some pics!
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

FiveSevenLiter

All good points, I always look to see how well it has been looked after.  I looked at a cool 1965 Comet Caliente, opened the hood and it had a NAPA battery, a FRAM oil filter, a CTC air cleaner, flex hoses on the radiator, one black heater hose the other was red, one AC Delco fan belt the other was a Gates.  I closed the hood and moved on.  Take your time, do your homework, listen to a trusted/knowledgable car lover.  Don't buy it because your neighbour's cousin liked the floor mats.
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

1930artdeco

Thank you all,

I just saw a project 57 fairlane on C.L. and was busy trying all sorts of different ways to justify buying it :003: :003:. But with taxes coming up and no real place to park and work on it, plus the look on my wife's face I have to unfortunately pass on it:(. But, I sat and though a minute and realized that I have not read of a 'list of things to look for on these cars'. Which is why I asked, I was aware from reading here about the rusted rockers and the area around the windshield corner (dog leg I think?). I just did not know about the little things that may be needed to restore back to stock-more or less.

I will take all of the info that people add to my question and everything else I have read about and apply it to a car-one day.

Thank you,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

CobraJoe

That is probably one of the most honest answers I've heard from someone on a forum  in a long time , Most people wouldn't have even taken the time to respond.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2020-10-27 13:16
That is probably one of the most honest answers I?ve heard from someone on a forum  in a long time , Most people wouldn?t have even taken the time to respond.

LOL!!! Yea...and me...I'd have bought it anyway and worried about the taxes later!  LOL!!!  :003: (which is why I now have so many projects going on...)
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker